From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] 8 days now!!
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 05:05:07
1 Thus spake lists on Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 08:25:36AM CST
2 > I needed lots of sleep. Right now I don't have a CD burner. I am using it
3 > to boot from. I am running from a knoppix CD. I think there is a way to
4 > fix this without starting over. I have chrooted in to my new HD, I
5 > downloaded a 2006.1 stage3, I did the env-update && source etc/profile...
6 >
7 > I will be working on this and reading through as much as I can find about
8 > it today. If I can't get anywhere with it, I can get a CD from my friend
9 > some time next week. Good luck with the ALSA stuff. You may need to
10 > recompile the kernel with that.
11
12 Lack of sleep on top of frustration makes it really difficult to do good
13 diagnostic work. Please take the time to obtain, and then work from a current
14 install disk. Please report carefully, concisely and accurately any ebuild
15 errors you get. Full compile records aren't helpful, just the topmost error in
16 an ebuild output down to the ebuild boilerplate about reporting the error above
17 that point. It might be helpful to post the output of 'emerge info'. If you
18 are having app crashes, run the problem GUI apps from a CLI and report the
19 output to your terminal - segfaults, GTK messages, etc. Keep a good record of
20 what you do.
21
22 I would strongly advise you to follow the Gentoo install step-by-step docs _to
23 the letter_! Gentoo generally has very good instructions, and many times I've
24 found that problems I've had in installs and complex upgrades have been the
25 result of leaving out some step which at first didn't seem important but in
26 retrospect was critical. This will also help people on this list help you
27 since everyone can be on the same page as far as the steps you've taken and
28 where things have failed.
29
30 > It is hard for me to even get to my email now. I need my evolution and
31 > firefox passwords!! damn!!
32
33 FWIW, Evolution is a real bear! It's an absolutely brilliant piece of design
34 supported by very mediocre software engineering. It's no wonder the Ximian
35 people aren't on the scene anymore. I also use Evolution, and have fights
36 with it periodically. My mail access is all via IMAP, and I have a cron job
37 which backs up my calendar, and my contacts are all backed up in LDAP on my
38 servers, so when Evolution trashes my personal data, which it does
39 periodically, I have working backups. My favorite MUA is still Mutt, which I
40 fall back on with relative ease when Evo craps out on me. Thunderbird is
41 coming along, and with the Lightning plugin (and it's standalone equiv.
42 Sunbird) it's going to be running Evo some good competition in a year or two.
45 Lindsay Haisley | "Fighting against human | PGP public key
46 FMP Computer Services | creativity is like | available at
47 512-259-1190 | trying to eradicate | <http://pubkeys.fmp.com>
48 http://www.fmp.com | dandelions" |
49 | (Pamela Jones) |
50 --