From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Interest inquery: kde4-nosemantic overlay
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 09:12:59
1 Fabiano Engler posted on Fri, 26 Jul 2013 22:36:08 -0300 as excerpted:
2
3 > Oh man, knowing the next release will force enable semantic desktop is
4 > bad news, I would surely drop KDE desktop when that became stable and I
5 > am forced to update.
6 >
7 > Your work offers some hope though, I think the better approach for end
8 > users would be a plug and play overlay, but if I haven't read it here I
9 > would probably not even think about looking for an overlay for this and
10 > would just move away, which I suspect some other users will do too..
11 >
12 > Thanks for the time and effort into sharing this, much appreciated.
13
14 Time to get rid of these old subthreads still marked to reply to later,
15 as events have long passed them up.
16
17 (On a personal note, work suddenly slammed me with mountains of overtime,
18 and while I normally update a couple times a week, I had all I could do
19 to update even a couple times a month for awhile. That's why my posts
20 here unfortunately dried up so fast. Work has slowed down to something
21 reasonable again, so now I have time to come back and tie up lose ends,
22 even if time and events /have/ rather made them anticlimatic.)
23
24 As I assume most readers have figured out by now but for the record,
25 gentoo/kde, to their credit, finally decided to add the semantic-desktop
26 USE flag back to 3.11 before it stabilized. =:^)
27
28 So ultimately, the only folks that had to deal with the situation were
29 those like me running in-tree unstable, or the gentoo/kde overlay with
30 its pre-release versions (which is where I am). And people running
31 ~arch, and even MORE so people running overlay pre-release versions,
32 should be prepared to deal with this sort of thing, or they should
33 reevaluate their running ~arch or the overlay in the first place.
34
35 Never-the-less, it's likely that our protests did play at least a small
36 part in bringing the semantic-desktop back, such that it was never
37 removed for stable users at all. =:^)
38
39 Thanks be to the gentoo/kde dev(s) that stepped up to do the work, as
40 some of us users know quite well now what sort of things that involves!
41 =:^)
46 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman