From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: FWIW, kde-plasma/plasma-desktop and kde-plasma/plasma-workspace no-baloo enhancement bug and patches
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2016 01:46:13
1 Michael Palimaka posted on Sun, 03 Apr 2016 04:05:13 +1000 as excerpted:
2
3 [snippy-snip]
4
5 > If I understand correctly, at least part of the Plasma team does not
6 > view optional dependencies as something that should be toggled lightly.
7 > Rather, they would prefer they are always enabled unless being built on
8 > a platform where that dependency doesn't make sense.
9 >
10 > While I am too personally in favour of as much being optional as
11 > possible, I certainly appreciate their view - more options means more
12 > complex code, more codepaths and more possibility for breakage. It's
13 > been found in the past that many packages with optional dependencies
14 > failed to build when those optional dependencies were missing, simply
15 > because nobody has that configuration to test with.
16
17 Of course this is one reason why even much of the FLOSS world considers
18 gentooers insane.
19
20 Of course we have our reasons, but equally importantly, viewed from a
21 different angle, "exercising" those optional dependencies is valuable,
22 for much the same reason attempting to build with llvm and friends, even
23 if you don't recommend it for production use and default to gcc, is
24 valuable. Similarly, building on all those exotic archs. In each case,
25 while the benefit is arguably limited and may not in itself be worth the
26 hassle, in the end it finds bugs, and patching them makes for a much
27 stronger product all around, including when built with all recommended
28 deps, with the default toolchain, on the most mainstream arch and OS of
29 them all (generally considered to be 64-bit x86 for gnu/linux, these
30 days, tho arguably only because the arm processors android/linux is
31 normally deployed on are far more varied than x86, or they'd certainly
32 take that crown)
33
34 > As such, I doubt upstream will be interesting in making such a major
35 > feature as Baloo optional at build time.
36
37 As long as they keep it modular enough to continue hard-disabling via
38 patch, where desired, without seriously increasing the complexity of the
39 process. At this level on kde/frameworks/plasma5 it's a couple simple
40 patches, but I doubt gentoo would have tried it with the far more complex
41 and less modular kde4 if it hadn't been supported upstream, in which case
42 I wouldn't have had anything to continue to base patches on during the
43 period when gentoo/kde quit supporting it on kde4, and I *KNOW* it was
44 /way/ beyond my skills without being able to lean on gentoo's patches,
45 back on kde4.
46
47 But at least for the time being it's extremely simple for kde/frameworks/
48 plasma5, and as long as it stays that way, not a problem.
49
50 If it ever gets out of hand, well, I've always said that one way or
51 another, the file indexer isn't going to be running long on my desktop
52 (temporarily exception for porting and working out all the deps allowed
53 and taken). As long as I can arrange to kill the deps in kde, I'll
54 likely keep the kde desktop. If that becomes no longer possible, there's
55 a very good chance, I'd say 80% or better, I'll be off of kde entirely
56 within a year. Back before the turn of the century I was running MS
57 betas and was inline at midnight for MS Windows 98. Then the eXPrivacy
58 malware crossed a line I wouldn't cross, and I became nearly as
59 proficient on Linux in three months as I had done on MS in nearly a
60 decade.
61
62 Similarly, back in the kde3 era I was very nearly fully standardized on
63 kde, wondering if I could switch a couple more apps and avoid gtk on my
64 system at all. During the fiasco that was the switch to kde4 I switched
65 to non-kde for some of it, and switched even more when they broke kmail
66 with akonadi, and when a couple potential security issues in konqueror
67 went unfixed for way too long, and it became apparent they were treating
68 it more like a toy than something serious that people could properly do
69 their banking and etc on. They even broke global hotkey chaining in kde4,
70 so I had to switch my hotkey setup to something else, and thus didn't
71 really have to worry about it in the kde5 upgrade (except for kde hotkeys
72 themselves, kwin-based zoom, invoking the cube, etc, session logout, kmix
73 hotkeys, etc, but if I dump plasma those go with it and I configure
74 whatever I replace plasma and kwin with, with my hotkeys).
75
76 So now, other than the desktop itself, some kdegames, gwenview, and
77 superkaramba, I'm pretty much off of kde, which is why it's relatively
78 easy to run the live-9999 testing version of the parts of kde I do have
79 installed. And of course superkaramba is now a dead package upstream, so
80 while it's working for now, I'll have to find a replacement for it within
81 a year or so. I already have a replacement for gwenview, that I used
82 when gwenview was broken for me for a time. And the games I can either
83 do without, find replacements for, or install individually. Which means
84 it's pretty much only the desktop.
85
86 So as I said, if at some point they interweave baloo into the desktop to
87 the point I can't unweave it, I'll probably be off it too, within a year
88 and most likely within 2-4 months.
89
90 > In addition to sticking to upstream, I note it's easy to turn off at
91 > runtime if unwanted and baloo:5 has a much lighter deptree than baloo:4.
92
93 That is /definitely/ true. =:^)
94
95 But of course it doesn't help when baloo isn't building with current
96 cmake. I had a bug on that (as I expect you're aware but others here may
97 not be), but it turned out that was simply more motivation to figure out
98 how to kill baloo, given that several cmake upgrades over some months
99 hadn't fixed it, so it looked like I was either going to have to
100 seriously dig into it myself or dig into figuring out how to kill that
101 dep, which was my ultimate goal anyway, so when I had the time to spend,
102 it's obvious where I spent it.
105 But truth be told, if there wasn't so much bad water under the bridge
106 with the still horribly broken semantic-desktop crammed down our throats
107 in the kde4 era, with it being easier to fully disable at runtime in kde/
108 plasma5, I'd have 90% chance been satisfied with just that, and would
109 have been far more likely to jump thru the hoops the other way with the
110 baloo building bug, tracing it down instead of making it my job to figure
111 out how to exterminate baloo, even if I do find it worse than useless
112 when actually running (since I find very nearly useless, it's very nearly
113 worthless to me, even were it able to run at zero resource cost, but of
114 course it's not zero resource cost, in either CPU time or indexing space,
115 so the already nearly worthless actually ends up well into the negative).
116
117 > Even though we weren't able to integrate your changes, thanks for your
118 > work. It's interesting to know how simple it actually is and I'm sure
119 > there's others who will find it useful too.
120
121 Thanks. Like I said, getting it out there for anyone else that found it
122 useful in the absence of gentoo/kde taking it, was at least as important
123 to me as getting an answer one way or the other on whether gentoo/kde
124 /would/ take it, particularly since I figured I pretty much knew the
125 answer to the latter already. Tho it never hurts to ask, particularly
126 when there's further reasons for posting as well. =:^)
131 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman