From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: xf86-video-ati-6.8.0 ?
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 23:45:10
1 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> posted pan.2008.03.04.20.15.30@×××.net,
2 excerpted below, on Tue, 04 Mar 2008 20:15:31 +0000:
3
4 > emerge --pretend =xf86-video-ati-6.8.0
5 >
6 > [snip]
7 > - x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-6.8.0 (masked by: package.mask)
8 > /p/profiles/package.mask:
9 > # Joshua Baergen <joshuabaergen@g.o> (27 Mar 2007) # Release
10 > candidate ATI driver
13 > If I may, that's not a release candidate any more
14
15 > I suppose I'll soon see, as I'm going to be unmasking it to try...
16 > probably later today, if nobody's yelling DON'T, IT'LL EAT YOUR DATA or
17 > the like, by then.
18
19 Followup:
20
21 Well, it was a few days, but I did try it, and didn't get it working to
22 my satisfaction, either. Either it craps out with a traceback, or I get
23 tiny resolution (1024x768, apparently cloned; I normally run dual
24 1600x1200, stacked for 1600x2400).
25
26 Among other things, no more merged framebuffer, so I had to disable that,
27 trying with and without xinerama instead, the thing was going with a
28 small virtual so I tried to increase that, but it still didn't want to
29 give me anything but 1024x768, or, with the second screen config and
30 xinerama enabled, the traceback (and disabled DRI according to the log
31 even if I did NOT get the traceback).
32
33 So yeah, it seems you were right about the tracebacks, Donnie. Maybe
34 I'll get time to debug it further in cooperation with the xorg guys,
35 maybe not, but right now, yes, at least for Radeon 9200 vintage cards, my
36 experience appears to match yours.
41 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
44 gentoo-desktop@l.g.o mailing list