From: Jakob Kummerow <jakob.kummerow@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] New install - basic question
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 16:55:48
1 2011/2/5 Paul Stear <gentoo@××××××××××××.com>:
2 > Hi I am currently using amd64 2 core processor but now have the chance to use
3 > an intel quad 64 processor.
4 > This might be a silly question but is it best to do a compltly new install?
5
6 Generally that shouldn't be necessary. Intel's and AMD's x86_64
7 technologies, also known as amd64 because AMD designed them, are
8 compatible.
9 Before plugging your hard disk into your new mainboard, though, you
10 should make sure that your kernel supports enough of that board's
11 integrated devices to be able to boot. IOW, you will most probably
12 need to change your kernel config and compile a new kernel. Or you
13 could just try it and hope for the best -- but have some bootable CD
14 or thumbdrive ready so that you can boot from that and chroot into
15 your installation if necessary.
16
17 > Which chost and cflags should I use?
18
19 The same as you should have right now:
20 CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
21 CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -pipe"
22
23 Cheers,