From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Network access to a CUPS printer
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 02:50:08
1 I have an ancient and venerable HP Deskjet 1120C connected to LPT1 on my
2 desktop system running Gentoo. This printer is supported in CUPS, and
3 works properly (except for minor Gnome weirdness) from apps on the
4 immediate system - Firefox, OpenOffice, etc.
5
6 I want to access this printer from other computers on our LAN, including
7 the Windows XP Pro system hosted on the same box using VMware.
8 According to
9 <http://gentoo-wiki.com/Talk:HOWTO_Native_Windows_Printing_with_CUPS/Samba> I should be able to do this without involving samba, assuming I can direct printing requests to the proper URI. Both Windows and Linux support configuring printers this way, rather than as CIFS shares, and since I don't need to upload drivers to the printer (the original drivers won't work in XP) all I really need to do is connect to the printer over the LAN as a raw device and use client-side drivers.
10
11 The documentation at
12 <http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml#remote_usage> suggests
13 that I use one of the following for the printer URI on other systems:
14
15 * "ipp://hostname/printers/printername" which in my case would be
16 "ipp://vishnu.fmp.com/printers/hpdj_1120c (or I can substitute
17 the LAN IP address for the hostname)
18
19 * "http://hostname:631/ipp/queue" which appears to translate to
20 "http://vishnu.fmp.com:631/ipp/queue" with no specification for
21 the printer in the URI. Since the hpdj_1120c doesn't have a
22 queue specified in cups, I assume this URI should be used
23 literally.
24
25 Neither of these works on our LAN-connected Windows boxes and the
26 documentation I find on this is very sketchy. Windows doesn't
27 understand the "ipp" URI scheme, apparently, and I'm missing something
28 in second URI. Should I be substituting something for "queue"?
29
30 Anyone done this who can help me?
33 Lindsay Haisley | "The difference between | PGP public key
34 FMP Computer Services | a duck is that one leg | available at
35 512-259-1190 | is both the same" | http://pubkeys.fmp.com
36 http://www.fmp.com | - Anonymous |
39 gentoo-desktop@l.g.o mailing list