From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Current best practices for java and gentoo
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 17:45:46
1 Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net> posted 463E0324.9090202@××××××××××.net,
2 excerpted below, on Sun, 06 May 2007 11:32:36 -0500:
3
4 > To make java work correctly with most websites, just exactly which one
5 > should a person emerge and use? Also, is it safe to have more than one
6 > version installed at the same time?
7
8 I'm wondering this as well, plus have my own question. This seems as
9 good a place as any to ask, as it's Java related.
10
11 For the obvious (given my sig) reasons, I'm not interested in binary blob
12 Java, non-negotiable. The license has changed and I recently saw -bin
13 versions of at least some Java related stuff being pulled from the tree
14 in favor of standard from-source versions. I'm happy! =8^)
15
16 Question is, it from-source Java ready for the "occasional" user, mainly
17 browser oriented, and what choices do I have if so? If it's not ready,
18 no pressure here (I'm really more interested in KDE 4, but Java would be
19 nice too =8^), but just wondering what the time frame is so I can have in
20 mind when to get interested. By chance seeing those packages switch is
21 what triggered the question, but I've no clue if they have anything to do
22 with core or not or pretty much on anything else Java related, so I'm
23 asking. =8^)
28 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
31 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list