From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] CD-ROM mounting
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 18:01:24
1 I've followed the progress of udev and friends with interest, but as the
2 project has matured it seems that it's become harder to do things I used
3 to do easily.
4
5 In particular, I used to be able to pop a CD of saved email into my CD
6 drive and have it auto-mount on /mnt/cdrom. I have /mnt/cdrom symlinked
7 to the proper directory for a Maildir file structure which is recognized
8 by Evolution, so I could automatically mount last year's incoming email,
9 for instance, as an Inbox folder in Evolution simply by inserting the CD
10 in the drive.
11
12 These days, CDs get mounted as /media/<volume name> which is pretty hard
13 to script back into a Maildir struct for Evolution, since back email CDs
14 have volume names representative of their contents - i.e. all different.
15 Ideally, what I'd like to be able to do is have the CD auto-mounted on
16 _both_ /media/<volume name> and /mnt/cdrom, and I've tried scripting
17 udev rules to do this, but what I used to do no longer works. I had
18 scripts in /etc/dev.d which worked nicely for this, but /etc/dev.d is
19 apparently no longer supported in udev.
20
21 Any suggestions?
24 Lindsay Haisley | "We are all broken | PGP public key
25 FMP Computer Services | toasters, but we | available at
26 512-259-1190 | still manage to make |<http://pubkeys.fmp.com>
27 http://www.fmp.com | toast" |
28 | (Cheryl Dehut) |