From: Kevin Hanson <tuxpert@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: disk partitioning
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 22:17:08
Duncan wrote:
> Mikko Husari <husku@×××××.net> posted 45C82D9C.7010601@×××××.net, > excerpted below, on Tue, 06 Feb 2007 09:26:20 +0200: > > >> hi! >> >> i was wonderin (also tried my luck on perfomance-gentoo, but no one >> home), what kind of partition + fs table would be optimal on server >> and/or desktop. afaik, /usr/portage would be on its own partition, and >> perhaps reiserfs and raid0. distfiles should be on a different >> partition, so it would not be in the way of portage itself... but, what >> about other parts of gentoo/linux. and is journaling filesystem over >> striping raid just asking for trouble? >> > > I'm running a 300-gig/disk, 4-SATA-disk, kernel RAID here, and /love/ it! > > Each of the four disks is partitioned identically to the others, with the > corresponding partitions on each grouped in the corresponding RAIDs. > > /dev/md0 (on /dev/sd[a..d]1) is raid-1, necessary for boot, since that's > all grub and the like understand, but that's all that's on the raid-1. > >
<SNIP> Duncan, Did you look in to EVMS at all. I am setting up a similar system to yours...4 stat disk, linux raid, etc. However, I really wanted to use EVMS and am only partially successful. I have, as of now, been able to get the EVMS stuff correctly in initrd such that I can complete a boot. Just curious if you'd looked into EVMS at all and if you had any thoughts. Cheers, Kevin -- gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: disk partitioning Kevin Hanson <tuxpert@×××××××.net>