From: Kevin Hanson <tuxpert@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: disk partitioning
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 22:17:08
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > Mikko Husari <husku@×××××.net> posted 45C82D9C.7010601@×××××.net,
3 > excerpted below, on Tue, 06 Feb 2007 09:26:20 +0200:
6 >> hi!
7 >>
8 >> i was wonderin (also tried my luck on perfomance-gentoo, but no one
9 >> home), what kind of partition + fs table would be optimal on server
10 >> and/or desktop. afaik, /usr/portage would be on its own partition, and
11 >> perhaps reiserfs and raid0. distfiles should be on a different
12 >> partition, so it would not be in the way of portage itself... but, what
13 >> about other parts of gentoo/linux. and is journaling filesystem over
14 >> striping raid just asking for trouble?
17 > I'm running a 300-gig/disk, 4-SATA-disk, kernel RAID here, and /love/ it!
18 >
19 > Each of the four disks is partitioned identically to the others, with the
20 > corresponding partitions on each grouped in the corresponding RAIDs.
21 >
22 > /dev/md0 (on /dev/sd[a..d]1) is raid-1, necessary for boot, since that's
23 > all grub and the like understand, but that's all that's on the raid-1.
26 <SNIP>
27
28 Duncan,
29
30 Did you look in to EVMS at all. I am setting up a similar system to
31 yours...4 stat disk, linux raid, etc. However, I really wanted to use
32 EVMS and am only partially successful. I have, as of now, been able to
33 get the EVMS stuff correctly in initrd such that I can complete a boot.
34
35 Just curious if you'd looked into EVMS at all and if you had any thoughts.
36
37 Cheers,
38 Kevin
39 --