From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Vulnerabilities on an RFC-1918 masqueraded Linux box.
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 15:03:29
1 On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 10:29 +0100, Roman Zilka wrote:
2 >
3 > I actually did mean libmng - it's a good example exactly because it's
4 > so unpopular, yet exists on real systems. As for the reference, see
5 > `emerge -pv libmng`.
6
7 Sorry! I did a google search for "libmng" yesterday and turned up
8 nothing. I must have misspelled it since I tried it today and came up
9 with all kinds of references. My apologies to all.
10
11 > For the sake of security of that server, I hope you skipped a number
12 > of other steps you took.
13
14 I had one of my colleagues, who runs one of Austin's top computer
15 security firms take a look at the situation. He concurred with me on
16 the diagnosis, and there were a limited number of things that could be
17 done, including updating glibc. Customers are free to put whatever they
18 want on their websites, and those who run WordPress are warned that
19 they're liable for damages if their apps get hacked and the system
20 compromised.
21
22 > I suggest quitting this discussion. It's getting way
23 > off-topic, too general and unfit for this mailinglist, as all these
24 > questions can be answered by checking sources someone else has
25 > previously spent their time on writing.
26
27 Roman, are you a moderator on this list? The Gentoo website describes
28 it as a "Mailing list devoted to Gentoo on the desktop" so I assumed
29 that Gentoo desktop security was an appropriate topic.
30
31 That having been said, perhaps you might recommend a few of the best
32 "sources someone else has previously spent their time on writing" since
33 you seem to have knowledge of these, and I'll be happy to let the thread
34 drop.
37 Lindsay Haisley | "The difference between a duck is because
38 FMP Computer Services | one leg is both the same"
39 512-259-1190 | - Anonymous
40 http://www.fmp.com |