From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: How to mask KDE 4.6.2?
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 00:35:12
1 Duncan wrote:
2
3 > Alex Schuster posted on Sun, 03 Apr 2011 20:35:30 +0200 as excerpted:
4 > > Marián Kyral writes:
5 > >> I'm using the EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--keep-going"
6 > >> portage option to ignore missing files. This is enough for me.
7 > >
8 > > Not for me. I had tried the world update this night, but after a few
9 > > packages (kde-env being the only KDE4-one) it failed to download
10 > > oxygen- icons, and was unable to resume. Some of the packages that
11 > > have updates pending are ffmpeg or glib, I don't understand why
12 > > missing KDE4 stuff prevents their update.
13 >
14 > Do you have FEATURES=parallel-fetch enabled? Either that, or doing an
15 > emerge --upgrade --fetchonly --keep-going (with --newuse --deep
16 > --whatever as you normally do it) should help with that.
17
18 Huh? Yes, parallel-fetch is enabled. But I do not see how this would change
19 a thing?
20
21 > For ffmpeg, etc, it may be that they're inter-related to the kde
22 > dependencies in such a way that they don't want to update by themselves,
23 > however.
24
25 No, they were updated in that night's world update, after the KDE 4.6.2
26 update had been masked.
29 > What I often do here when there's a pending kde update, even when it's
30 > available, is do an emerge --update --pretend (--newuse/deep...whatever)
31 > piped to grep -v kde. That gives me a list of all the NON-KDE things to
32 > upgrade, (grep's -v reverses the grep so it lists anything WITHOUT the
33 > grepped term), and I'll then upgrade them first, manually.
34
35 So do I, though I usually start with eix -Iu --only-names. Well, in fact it
36 was more like eix -I | grep '^\[U', until someone recently posted the
37 --only-names option for eix. But I realize this method has a problem, it
38 also finds stuff with different slots. This does the trick:
39 UPGRADE_TO_HIGHEST_SLOT=false eix -I | grep '^\[U'
40
41 Hmmmm.
42
43 Now that I look at the output I find some stuff that has updates pending,
44 but emerge -DautvNj --with-bdeps=y @world does not pick them up. And
45 depclean does not want to remove them.
46 An example is dev-lang/spidermonkey, needed by www-client/elinks (with the
47 javascript USE flag being set).
48
49 And yet another strangeness: emerge -DautvNj @system wants to install
50 virtual/mta (as a dependency of app-crypt/gnupg), emerge -DautvNj @world