From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: How to mask KDE 4.6.2?
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 00:35:12
Duncan wrote:

> Alex Schuster posted on Sun, 03 Apr 2011 20:35:30 +0200 as excerpted: > > Marián Kyral writes: > >> I'm using the EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--keep-going" > >> portage option to ignore missing files. This is enough for me. > > > > Not for me. I had tried the world update this night, but after a few > > packages (kde-env being the only KDE4-one) it failed to download > > oxygen- icons, and was unable to resume. Some of the packages that > > have updates pending are ffmpeg or glib, I don't understand why > > missing KDE4 stuff prevents their update. > > Do you have FEATURES=parallel-fetch enabled? Either that, or doing an > emerge --upgrade --fetchonly --keep-going (with --newuse --deep > --whatever as you normally do it) should help with that.
Huh? Yes, parallel-fetch is enabled. But I do not see how this would change a thing?
> For ffmpeg, etc, it may be that they're inter-related to the kde > dependencies in such a way that they don't want to update by themselves, > however.
No, they were updated in that night's world update, after the KDE 4.6.2 update had been masked.
> What I often do here when there's a pending kde update, even when it's > available, is do an emerge --update --pretend (--newuse/deep...whatever) > piped to grep -v kde. That gives me a list of all the NON-KDE things to > upgrade, (grep's -v reverses the grep so it lists anything WITHOUT the > grepped term), and I'll then upgrade them first, manually.
So do I, though I usually start with eix -Iu --only-names. Well, in fact it was more like eix -I | grep '^\[U', until someone recently posted the --only-names option for eix. But I realize this method has a problem, it also finds stuff with different slots. This does the trick: UPGRADE_TO_HIGHEST_SLOT=false eix -I | grep '^\[U' Hmmmm. Now that I look at the output I find some stuff that has updates pending, but emerge -DautvNj --with-bdeps=y @world does not pick them up. And depclean does not want to remove them. An example is dev-lang/spidermonkey, needed by www-client/elinks (with the javascript USE flag being set). And yet another strangeness: emerge -DautvNj @system wants to install virtual/mta (as a dependency of app-crypt/gnupg), emerge -DautvNj @world does not. Wonko