From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: CD-ROM mounting
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 17:14:06
1 On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 07:43 +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > Those *.fdi files can be headaches in other cases as well and
3 > unfortunately aren't as easy to find proper documentation on as the
4 > traditional configuration they replace. It may be great for newbies, but
5 > it sure gives *ix traditionalists headaches when stuff doesn't work as
6 > the *ix gods intended it to! =:^)
7
8 You hit that nail spot-on, buddy! I cut my teeth in Internet-land back
9 in the 90s on BSDI Unix and learned the standard *ix way of doing
10 things. The Unix toolset was a huge tinkertoy set that could be cobbled
11 and molded to fit just about any need we had. Some of it was klunky and
12 awkward, but it just worked! If you didn't understand how to use a
13 tool, there was a man page, and so I learned to read and understand the
14 particular brand of pigin-English geek-ish used in most man pages. I
15 was never one of those Unix fanatics who insisted on using emacs for
16 everything, but I dam sure appreciated the structure and the text-based
17 configuration of everything.
18
19 And I don't think there's a Linux newbie out there, no matter how
20 brilliant, who wouldn't just scratch his head and throw up his hands
21 over this kind of problem. I had to hunt for 6 months for a solution to
22 the CD mounting problem before I happened to find one.
23
24 I certainly understand the advantages of XML, and I wouldn't mind if
25 standard configurations for essential services were migrated into XML
26 format, but so far, the lack of concise and centralized documentation, a
27 la man pages and even info or html files, is appalling! Narry even a
28 DTD file for the XML stuff. Bah!!
29
30 > In another case, newer xorg can ignore the xorg.conf setting for keyboard
31 > and mouse until the proper "magic" incantation is added. (Section
32 > Serverflags, Option "AllowEmptyInput" 0) In theory, *.fdi files are
33 > supposed to take over, but while the most basic ones work, non-standard
34 > keyboard layouts and etc don't without tweaking the appropriate *.fdi
35 > files, but the documentation of exactly what and where to tweak them is
36 > way harder to come by than say the xorg.conf manpage, and doesn't exist
37 > at all in some cases.
38
39 That's saying a lot, Duncan. The documentation on X has historically
40 been pretty scattered and fragmented, but in the case of .fdi files,
41 it's damn near nonexistent, which is worse.
42
43 If it works, don't fix it!
46 Lindsay Haisley | "The difference between | PGP public key
47 FMP Computer Services | a duck is that one leg | available at
48 512-259-1190 | is both the same" | http://pubkeys.fmp.com
49 http://www.fmp.com | - Anonymous |