From: Dominique Michel <dominique.michel@××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: *kit free desktop profile
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 18:02:52
1 Le Sun, 21 Oct 2012 08:02:47 +0000 (UTC),
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> a écrit :
3
4 > Alex Efros posted on Sat, 20 Oct 2012 23:07:40 +0300 as excerpted:
5 >
6 > > Hi!
7 > >
8 > > On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 08:07:31PM +0200, Dominique Michel wrote:
9 > >> USE="-consolekit -policykit -udisks -upower"
10 > >
11 > > I'm using fluxbox, but, of course, I need ability to run gnome and
12 > > kde applications (but not gnome/kde itself). Last time I tried to
13 > > switch off these USE-flags it doesn't work. Best I got is:
14 > >
15 > > /etc/make.conf:
16 > > USE="${USE} -policykit -upower"
17 > > /etc/portage/package.use
18 > > # required by udisks
19 > > sys-fs/udev extras gudev hwdb
20 > > # required by polkit, consolekit
21 > > sys-auth/pambase consolekit
22 > > # required by polkit, udisks, clementine
23 > > sys-auth/consolekit policykit
24 >
25 > FWIW, as my gentoo experience lengthens, I've gotten *MUCH* tighter
26 > with my installed-packages and USE flags policy.
27 >
28 > I run a kde desktop, but have this in my global USE file[1]:
29 >
30 > -consolekit -policykit -udisks -udisks2 -upower
31 >
32 > Also given my kde4 desktop it's worth noting:
33 >
34 > -raptor -redland -semantic-desktop -virtuoso
35 >
36 > (Of course that means no kdepim packages at all. I got fed up with
37 > akonadi problems and switched to the gtk-based claws-mail after
38 > nearly a decade on kmail! That allowed me to kill kmail and akonadi,
39 > which allowed me to kill semantic-desktop for all of kde, which
40 > allowed me to kill rasqal, redland, virtuoso, soprano... I did it
41 > mainly to get rid of akonadi and the problems it brought, but WOW,
42 > the kde4 desktop was faster without all that extra bloatware!
43
44 Wow!
45
46 > And I
47 > had already turned off nepomuk and strigi too, and it was STILL
48 > dramatically faster when kde was built without that junk! Sort of
49 > reminds me of all those MSWormOS users and how surprised they often
50 > are to learn how badly the malware was affecting system performance
51 > once it's cleaned up. Yes, I DID just compare the semantic-desktop
52 > crap to malware!)
55 > But: USE=udev
56 >
57 > No udisks (1 or 2), upower, consolekit or policykit installed.
58
59 So, it is place for 2 *kit free profiles: desktop/nokit and
60 desktop/kde/nokit
61
62 Anyway, I will incorporate them into the proaudio overlay. They will
63 have some added USE flags, like jack, that correspond with the
64 goal of this overlay: audio pro. In consequence, I will use something
65 like desktop/proaudio and desktop/proaudio-kde.
68 "We have the heroes we deserve."