From: Dominique Michel <dominique.michel@××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] questions and sundry gripes about X11 multihead (it's a rant)
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 14:24:27
1 Le Sun, 29 Dec 2013 23:51:03 -0600 (CST),
2 Brent Busby <brent@×××××××××.org> a écrit :
3
4 > After years of assuming I'd probably never set my system up with
5 > multiple monitors, I've decided to go ahead and do it. I've watched
6 > with some interest as various new schemes for doing it have emerged
7 > over the years (Xinerama, and now lately RandR), but I've always
8 > assumed that if nothing else, good old Zaphod mode would always be
9 > around, since it's built right into the way X11 numbers $DISPLAY
10 > (0:0, 0:1, 0:2...etc.). It's been around so long, it's older than
11 > Linux itself.
12 >
13 > Lately, I've been reading a lot of listserv and newsgroup posts from
14 > developers telling various people in forums that if they want Zaphod
15 > mode, they're more or less strange odd creatures who ought to be
16 > ashamed of themselves. The driver developers don't want to support
17 > it anymore. It's not so much a problem in the X server as in each of
18 > the individual video drivers for the various cards. I've probably
19 > read seven or eight different threads like this now, so it's odd that
20 > the common trend in all of them is that each of these users is told
21 > no one else but them uses it. (Apparently a lot do.)
22 >
23 > Anyway, Zaphod is what I want. I don't care that it won't let me
24 > drag windows between monitors. That's precisely the advantage of
25 > it. Many applications are written with such an assumption of a
26 > single display that it's best not to disappoint them. I don't want
27 > to worry about what a fullscreen game will think of my multihead
28 > setup. I don't want to see dialog windows (or anything else really)
29 > popping up, half on one monitor and half on another. I don't want to
30 > have to setup the arrangement of my desktop so that it's arranged to
31 > not look rediculous at the point where the two monitors divide the
32 > screen. It's all just simpler if we have two screens that are
33 > completely separate, and the only magic object that's able to move
34 > between them is the mouse pointer.
35 >
36 > X11 has been able to do this since the 80's.
37 >
38 > But now we're in a brave new world where "nobody wants to do that"
39 > (other than seven or eight people on various forums, and those are
40 > just the ones who complained). I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.
41 > They say we have Wayland in our future too, which we're assured will
42 > have some kind of way to run apps on a remote desktop that will
43 > certainly be at least as good as running a VNC app on Windows (oh
44 > joy). While we're at it, why don't we get rid of this multiple
45 > desktops thing that most X11 window managers support -- nobody does
46 > that on Windows either, so surely that's probably another thing that
47 > nobody on Linux really uses. We should definitely find all the
48 > window managers that support that and strip that feature out of them
49 > for everyone's own good.
50 >
51 > Ok, I suppose I should quit ranting. It's just been a trend now for
52 > the past five years or so that I've been seeing upstream developers
53 > making "improvements" to Linux that are so basic to the
54 > infrastructure that no distro can fight them (PolicyKit, Wayland,
55 > goodbye Zaphod, udev, etc.).
56
57 Each software you are talking about here is a particular case.
58 *kit is a mandatory dependency of gnome and a few other desktops/window
59 managers. I just don't install them, so I don't have *kit into my
60 system. You can do that even on Debian.
61
62 udev have much to do with the kernel. It is still possible to make an
63 udev free system and manage a static /dev, and I know at least 1 user
64 that managed to do that on a desktop PC. Also, an udev free system must
65 be the way to go for many simple embedded systems, but that's another
66 subject.
67
68 Wayland is another issue. Due to the complexity of X and of all its
69 extensions, wayland's compatibility layer will be a never finished
70 job, which will break hundreds of good working software. Because of
71 that, I think wayland may be a good move for the mobile or game market,
72 but than for the desktop, X will remain in use for a long time, at
73 least by experienced users. Or many of these experienced users will
74 be looking for alternatives. Some already have done it, or are in
75 the process to do it.
76
77 Another concern with wayland is windows managers. Most of them will
78 just stop to work with wayland, and this is not an incomplete
79 compatibility layer that will make them to work. My main concern here
80 is fvwm, which is not only a wm, but also a tool-kit for the Xlib which
81 let its users do whatever they can think about with it. I don't see
82 anything like that coming with wayland. So for me, wayland is just not a
83 viable alternative, and I am not the only one in that case.