From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] disk partitioning
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 19:12:48
On Tuesday 06 February 2007 01:26, Mikko Husari wrote:
> /usr/portage > would be on its own partition, and perhaps reiserfs and raid0.
I've not broken it of /usr, but it's not a bad idea. Using reiserfs is highly recommended by me, since the tail packing provided by that file system cuts down the disk space required by all those small files significantly and it still performs quite well. There's no need for redundancy, so raid-0 is a win.
> distfiles should be on a different partition, so it would > not be in the way of portage itself...
I actually use distfiles mounted over NFS to share with my roommate, and putting it on a partition separate from /usr/portage is not a bad idea.
> what about other > parts of gentoo/linux. and is journaling filesystem over > striping raid just asking for trouble?
I don't see why. I'm using reiserfs for all filesystems 'cept /boot, on top of LVM, which is backed by one software (mdadm) raid-0 set and one hardware (arcmsr) raid-5 set. (Different mount points are assigned to one set or another, depending on the need for redundancy.) swap is on it's own hardware (arcmsr) raid-0 set. /boot is on yet another hardware (arcmsr) raid-6 set. -- Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =. bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_)) ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-' \_/ New GPG Key! Old key expires 2007-03-25. Upgrade NOW! -- gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list