From: "E. Liddell" <ejlddll@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] has the sun set ?
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 10:41:36
1 On Mon, 1 Jun 2015 05:33:01 -0400
2 Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > [ forwarded to Gentoo-Desktop, the list given for Kde-Sunset ]
5 >
6 > Using Kde-Sunset, I have 3 useful apps available in forms
7 > which aren't provided by KDE 4 (Kworldclock Ksokoban Kmahjongg).
8 >
9 > Yesterday, while doing my weekly system update, I encountered a msg :
10 >
11 > !!! The following installed packages are masked:
12 > - media-libs/lcms-1.19-r1::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
13 > /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
14 > # Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o> (27 May 2015)
15 > # on behalf of Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@g.o>
16 > # media-libs/lcms:0 has serious security issues and is unmaintained,
17 > # see bug 526642. Please uninstall it and/or upgrade to media-libs/lcms:2
18 >
19 > I looked at the bug, which explains the reason for dropping Lcms:0 .
20 >
21 > Unfortunately, Kde-Sunset appears to require Lcms:0 for Libmng:0 ,
22 > which is required by Qt-Meta:3 & which aren't included in Kde-Sunset itself.
23 > For now, I can simply ignore the warning, but it looks
24 > as if it wb no longer possible to install Kde-Sunset on a new machine.
25 >
26 > I realise Gentoo itself doesn't provide support for Kde-Sunset,
27 > but does anyone know of a way round this obstacle or have other advice ?
28
29 Compile libmng without lcms support? I'm pretty sure it's optional,
30 and qt-meta doesn't care what USE flags are set for libmng. No one
31 uses the mng format anyway, so it isn't much of a loss.
32
33 While it isn't optimal, it's possible to get any ebuild that was ever in the
34 main tree from the attic if you need to fill in gaps for a new installation:
35
36 https://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/?hideattic=0
37
38 Some ebuilds from this source may need to be retouched before portage
39 is happy with them, but if they're not too old it's usually possible to get them
40 working.
41
42 There's also the option of trying the Trinity Desktop Environment, if
43 ebuilds for the packages you want are available. There's an unofficial overlay
44 for the most recent release at https://bitbucket.org/mgebert/gentoo-trinity
45 Trinity is still being actively developed, and bugs about failures to compile
46 against modern libs should be addressed over time. (Sometimes over a
47 lot of time, granted, but no-one's perfect.)
48
49 E. Liddell