From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Problem with keyboard in XFCE and Fluxbox
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 12:32:42
1 "gosha-necr" <gosha-necr@××××××.ru> posted
2 4656DF46.000001.17544@××××××××××××××××.ru, excerpted below, on Fri, 25
3 May 2007 17:06:14 +0400:
4
5 > I have a problem with symbol 'vertical-line' (now i'm in fluxbox
6 > session,and cannot insert it :))
7
8 I'm not a fluxbox user so probably can't help with that, but the word you
9 are looking for is "pipe". The | (vertical line) symbol is called a
10 "pipe".
11
12 I'd be in a bad way if I couldn't use pipes, because they are used
13 extensively in shell scripts, to pipe the output of one command to
14 another, or two together as ||, a logical OR, similar to &&, the logical
15 AND. Since I do a significant amount of my sysadmin stuff in a terminal
16 window (in my case konsole, but could be xterm or gterm or rxvt or...),
17 I'd be in trouble if the | pipe didn't work there.
18
19 As I said, I'm not likely to be a lot of help, but you sent your
20 xorg.conf, and I can say it should be safe to stop looking there, as the
21 problem can't be there or you'd have problems with GNOME as well, and you
22 say it works fine.
23
24 What about in the xfce terminal program? I do see a package for it. You
25 say it doesn't work in xfce, did you try it in the xfce terminal? I'd
26 find it very strange if it didn't work there, because as I said, the pipe
27 char is rather critical in shell scripting.
28
29 If it were me, the first place I'd look would be the config of the
30 offending window-manager/environments. You say it works in GNOME, so
31 it's not a generic xorg problem. It must be in the config of the
32 offending environments where it doesn't work, xfce and fluxbox, from what
33 you said.
34
35 It /may/ be in the l10n (localization, l, 10 letters, n) settings,
36 especially if you use GNOME in US or Western European configs and fluxbox/
37 xfce in Russian (based on your email) or the like. I'm not up on such
38 things either as I only read/write English, but there's at least one
39 Gentoo user that has filed a whole host of l10n bugs (I'm showing my
40 ignorance, but Slovakian locale, maybe), because he's in a locale where
41 "z" isn't the last letter of the alphabet, so "a-z" doesn't do what
42 people using straight ASCII or the like would expect, and there are MANY
43 programs that screw up until such assumptions are corrected with the
44 appropriate patches. Gentoo has been fortunate to have him around,
45 because it's good to get such invalid assumptions fixed, but I'm sure it
46 has been quite a pain for him, as having software not work right until
47 one files a bug and someone gets it fixed can be discouraging, and with
48 the number of bugs he files, it has to be /very/ discouraging at times.
49 Gentoo is very fortunate to have guys that will stick with it like that.
50
51 Hopefully your problems aren't quite so consistent. =8^)
56 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
59 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list