From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Gnome 3 instant messaging
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 00:02:57
1 Am 21.03.2012 21:48, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
2 > On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I never used Instant Messaging so far, but now with gnome3 I see the
5 >> screenshots of notifications within gnome shell and the somehow
6 >> integrated chatting.
7 >>
8 >> But I have no idea how to get there on my desktop.
9 >>
10 >> I have the full gnome ebuild installed, got some gmail and icq account
11 >> within pidgin or empathy but somehow I don't get it.
12 >>
13 >> Feels stupid ;-)
14 >>
15 >> Could someone get me started on this?
16 >> I googled quite a while already but didn't get very far ...
17 >>
18 >> Maybe I am missing something somewhere, I had gnome-light before and
19 >> upgraded to full gnome 3 a few weeks before.
20 >>
21 >> Thanks for any pointers, Stefan
22 >
23 > Go to the "Online Accounts" dialog; the menu with your name at the top
24 > right of the screen, select "Online Accounts". Alternatively, go to
25 > System Settings (Windows key, type "settings", it should appear), and
26 > select "Online Accounts". Click on the "+" button to add an account,
27 > select Google (right now the only available, I believe), click "Add",
28 > and a kinda-browser form will appear, where you should enter your
29 > Google mail, and your password. You cick "sign", and Google will
30 > notify you that GNOME is trying to access your accounts. You click
31 > "grant access", and then select which Google services you want to
32 > handle with GNOME (mail, calendar, chat, etc.) Then in the menu with
33 > your name at the top right of the screen, select "Available".
34 >
35 > Afterwards you open Empathy (Windows key, type "empathy; it should
36 > appear), and it should connect you to your Google chat account.
37
38 So I have to open empathy and it is not enough to be logged in?
39 That was one of my main questions.
40
41 I already added the account successfully already, I just have to check
42 out how to find rooms (if there are one there ?)
43
44 Is it possible to get skype into this as well?
45
46 Thanks, Stefan