From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Gnome 3 instant messaging
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 00:02:57
Am 21.03.2012 21:48, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote: >> >> I never used Instant Messaging so far, but now with gnome3 I see the >> screenshots of notifications within gnome shell and the somehow >> integrated chatting. >> >> But I have no idea how to get there on my desktop. >> >> I have the full gnome ebuild installed, got some gmail and icq account >> within pidgin or empathy but somehow I don't get it. >> >> Feels stupid ;-) >> >> Could someone get me started on this? >> I googled quite a while already but didn't get very far ... >> >> Maybe I am missing something somewhere, I had gnome-light before and >> upgraded to full gnome 3 a few weeks before. >> >> Thanks for any pointers, Stefan > > Go to the "Online Accounts" dialog; the menu with your name at the top > right of the screen, select "Online Accounts". Alternatively, go to > System Settings (Windows key, type "settings", it should appear), and > select "Online Accounts". Click on the "+" button to add an account, > select Google (right now the only available, I believe), click "Add", > and a kinda-browser form will appear, where you should enter your > Google mail, and your password. You cick "sign", and Google will > notify you that GNOME is trying to access your accounts. You click > "grant access", and then select which Google services you want to > handle with GNOME (mail, calendar, chat, etc.) Then in the menu with > your name at the top right of the screen, select "Available". > > Afterwards you open Empathy (Windows key, type "empathy; it should > appear), and it should connect you to your Google chat account.
So I have to open empathy and it is not enough to be logged in? That was one of my main questions. I already added the account successfully already, I just have to check out how to find rooms (if there are one there ?) Is it possible to get skype into this as well? Thanks, Stefan

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-desktop] Gnome 3 instant messaging "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>