From: Mikko Husari <husku@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] disk partitioning
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 18:02:10
1 Daniel Gryniewicz wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 09:26 +0200, Mikko Husari wrote:
3 >
4 >> hi!
5 >>
6 >> i was wonderin (also tried my luck on perfomance-gentoo,
7 >> but no one home), what kind of partition + fs table would
8 >> be optimal on server and/or desktop. afaik, /usr/portage
9 >> would be on its own partition, and perhaps reiserfs and raid0.
10 >> distfiles should be on a different partition, so it would
11 >> not be in the way of portage itself... but, what about other
12 >> parts of gentoo/linux. and is journaling filesystem over
13 >> striping raid just asking for trouble?
17 > In general, reiserfs is considered dead by the linux kernel guys, and by
18 > it's last remaining maintainer in particular (see
19 > http://linux.wordpress.com/2006/09/27/suse-102-ditching-reiserfs-as-it-default-fs/ for his email...) So, you probably want ext3 at this point. There will be an upgrade path from ext3 to ext4, when ext4 is stable.
20 >
21 > Running a journaled filesystem is completely orthogonal to the
22 > underlying storage. You always want a journal on large filesystems,
23 > because otherwise you will have huge (linear with the size of the
24 > filesystem) fsck times. In addition, a journaled FS is safer than a
25 > non-journaled one, w.r.t. data loss.
26 >
27 > Putting /usr/portage on it's own filesystem shouldn't make a huge
28 > difference in performance, especially if it's on the same spindles as
29 > other filesystems. /usr/portage is a high access file tree, with the
30 > sole exception of syncing. Other than that, it's relatively low access.
31 > Things like "emerge -auvDN world" hit the metadata cache fairly hard,
32 > but that cache is designed to be fairly quick. So, putting /usr/portage
33 > on it's own filesystem will generally only make your system less
34 > flexible (even if you use LVM2, which you *definitely* should do).
35 >
36 > Personally, I run RAID5 on my system, rather than striping. It's almost
37 > as fast as striping on all modern systems, and has the huge advantage of
38 > being able to recover from disk failure (of which I've had 2 on that
39 > system over time). With striping, if a disk goes, you lose everything.
40 >
41 > Personally, my partition table looks like this:
42 >
43 > /boot - 100M (or 100M + 2 * memory, if I use a swapfile)
44 > swap - 2 * memory (if I don't use a swapfile)
45 > / - 10G
46 > /home - The rest
47 >
48 > Except my file server, which has
49 > /home - 10G
50 > /storage - the rest
51 >
52 > I do put PORTAGE_TMPDIR in /home/portage, tho, because that can take
53 > large amounts of disk over time.
54 >
55 > Daniel
58 hmm, im really new to all that lvm stuff but i think i have a general
59 idea about it, does it reduce performance at all?
60 --
61 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list