From: "Marcus D. Hanwell" <cryos@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Cc: kde@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Live KDE ebuilds and the kdeprefix USE flag
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 00:45:51
1 Hi,
2
3 I am CCing the KDE alias this time, but in future think that these discussions
4 should take place on a public mailing list that is archived. I also hope that
5 this will document decisions that are made and give an easily accessible
6 archive. Hopefully this will avoid duplication of work, debating and
7 redebating the same things and allow both users and developers to take an
8 active role in the decision making process.
9
10 That said, some things are hard to resolve. This seems to be one of those
11 things. Originally when we discussed my idea for being able to install KDE
12 into /usr we discussed a developers need to install both the released version
13 and a live KDE build. We decided that the :live slot would be a special case
14 that would always be installed into a KDE prefix (/usr/kde/live).
15
16 This makes it easy for developers to install a stable released KDE to /usr and
17 keep a live KDE in a KDE prefix for development purposes. Today I noticed this
18 has not been implemented and thought I would take care of it. It seems to work
19 quite nicely locally, the changes to kde4-base.eclass remove the kdeprefix USE
20 flag from live ebuilds, always use /usr/kde/live as a prefix and make minimal
21 changes to kdelibs/kdepimlibs to stop using the kdeprefix USE flag.
22
23 It seems that some people are now objecting to this change and so I have not
24 committed it. If necessary I can maintain another overlay with these minor
25 changes, syncing with the kde-crazy live ebuilds as and when required. Ideally
26 this would not be necessary, but from what I can tell on IRC it seems there is
27 at least a 50:50 split.
28
29 Locally, my changes work great. I can log into a live session, do some
30 testing, and even if I call a KDE 4.2 beta app it writes stuff to .kde4
31 whereas live is using .kdelive...
32
33 If anyone can think of a better resolution let me know. Otherwise it looks
34 like I really need this for myself, and at least a few other users would like
35 it too. As such I can add another overlay with these changes present. Proposed
36 name - kde-cryos as it seems that these are minor changes I feel are
37 necessary.
38
39 Thanks,
40