From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 03:37:44
Thus spake Jason Wong on Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 09:30:37PM CDT
> On Thursday 07 October 2004 06:17, Lindsay Haisley wrote: > > > When I do a batch-emerge, such as 'emerge uU world', a lot of important > > informaton on various packages scrolls up the screen. Some of this stuff > > is must-read info, or stuff that would save a lot of time and research if I > > could read it. In Debian, with the ncurses debconf UI, I can swipe the > > important info screens and paste them into a file for review later. They > > all have <OK> buttons so they stay until you dismiss them. In Gentoo > > Having dabbled with Debian briefly recently, I was quite impressed with the > fact that an email is sent to the admin/root user which summarises the > "important info" that is displayed after a package is installed.
Hmmm. This is a new one on me :-) I track Debian testing on a couple of boxes and haven't seen this yet. This is very much the way it ought to be done. There have been patches for portage going back close to 2 years, that supposedly work well and save output einfo, ewarn and friends to special logs if the proper magic is done in make.conf, but for some reason they've never made it into production Gentoo, and there's no indication if and when they will. I hacked and emerge to output this information to file descriptor 3 and this works OK for me for the time being, but I'll have to patch these files again when the hacked files get upgraded. It's about the same, I guess, since the patches published on have to be reapplied to each upgrade also. -- Lindsay Haisley | "Everything works | PGP public key FMP Computer Services | if you let it" | available at 512-259-1190 | (Travis W. Redfish) | <> | ("The Roadie") | -- gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list