From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Openssh really needed in desktop profiles?
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 10:56:20
1 "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net> posted
2 200702261742.05685.bss03@××××××××××.net, excerpted below, on Mon, 26 Feb
3 2007 17:41:59 -0600:
4
5 > On Monday 26 February 2007, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote
6 > about 'Re: [gentoo-desktop] Openssh really needed in desktop
7 > profiles?':
8 >> In other words, Release Engineering wouldn't make a profile that
9 >> *removes* things from base, unless it was incompatible, such as
10 >> removing a package which isn't available due to an incompatibility.
11 >
12 > Okay, that makes sense. But, I don't really think virtual/ssh should be
13 > in the most fundamental profile either. It's simply not that essential
14 > for a running Gentoo system.
15
16 That was my original point. It's not essential for a generic Gentoo
17 system, so it shouldn't be in the profile for a generic Gentoo system.
18
19 >> We have a
20 >> simple rule, as things go to the right in our profiles, they go more
21 >> specific, and are additive from the parent.
22 >
23 > I like that rule.
24
25 Agreed.
26
27 >> The *only* way we would
28 >> remove virtual/ssh from the desktop profile would mean removing it from
29 >> base, then moving it to every single leaf profile *except* the desktop
30 >> ones.
31 >
32 > Or perhaps, only the few where ssh is part of the system packages like
33 > server-specific profiles, no need to maintain the status quo when you
34 > are already make a change of the same scope.
35
36 That was what I had in mind.
37
38 If not now, maybe when profiles get multi-inheritance?
39
40 >From the dev list, I see Chris G is working on multi-inheritance
41 /experimentally/ for this release. Once it can be added to a single
42 "server" profile that all the various archs can inherit, then it would be
43 a simple matter of taking it out of one place and putting it in one
44 other. Of course, even if multi-inheritance gets in 2007.0, it'll be
45 some time before all the cascading profiles are fully deprecated and
46 removed from the tree, so...
51 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
54 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list