From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Proposal: Split kde use flag into kde3 and kde4
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 14:20:16
1 Tomáš Chvátal <scarabeus@g.o> posted
2 200904271103.08247.scarabeus@g.o, excerpted below, on Mon, 27 Apr
3 2009 11:03:08 +0200:
4
5 > Dne pondělí 27 Duben 2009 10:59:46 Jan Kundrát napsal(a):
6 >> Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
7 >> > Dne pondělí 27 Duben 2009 10:45:49 Alexey Shvetsov napsal(a):
8 >> >> Hi all!
9 >> >> I think its better to split kde use flag into 2 new use flags kde3
10 >> >> and kde4 so it will not confuse users =)
11 >> >
12 >> > As we spoke earlier with others on irc: kde3 stuff = kde3 useflag
13 >> > kde4 stuff (or any newest kde which is around) = kde useflag where if
14 >> > kde4 gets outdated it will get kde4 useflag.
15 >>
16 >> Is there any single package that supports both KDE3 and KDE4?
17 > Some are,
18 > The issue is currently that user globaly enable kde and now with for
19 > example subversion he gets pulled kde4.
20
21 Before the discussion goes too far, please please either go back and
22 check the dev-list archives or talk to some of the devs that have been
23 around for awhile. It's relatively easy to both confuse users and make
24 further version changes MUCH more difficult than they need to be, and
25 looking thru the archives will provide much material on all the angst
26 that previous policies generated by not getting it right.
27
28 In particular, don't make the mistake gtk/gtk2 did for awhile. USE=gtk
29 indicated a general desire to have gtk (of any version) support, while
30 USE=gtk2 indicated that gtk2 should be favored over gtk1, otherwise, gtk1
31 was the default. That policy, which looked quite reasonable when gtk2
32 was new and experimental, ended up boxing them into a corner as gtk2
33 improved and became the dominant version, while gtk1 grew stale and was
34 eventually deprecated in the Gentoo tree and later masked and ultimately
35 removed (along with any packages, xmms being one of the most popular,
36 that hadn't upgraded to gtk2 by then), and they ultimately ended up
37 changing it in a way that couldn't be anything /but/ rough for some users.
38
39 But even before that it was a pain, because it didn't follow the
40 intuitive idea that USE=gtk meant gtk1 support while USE=gtk2 meant gtk2
41 support. New users very often enabled gtk2 without enabling gtk,
42 believing they were expressing a desire for gtk2 support but NOT gtk1,
43 when instead what it was really expressing was, don't support gtk (of any
44 version) unless you have to, but if it's mandatory and there's a choice,
45 choose gtk2 over gtk1.
46
47 Unfortunately there's few if any Gentoo/KDE devs remaining around from
48 that time. I'm not sure about Gentoo/GNOME or Gentoo/GTK. However, note
49 that such USE flag changes will be global in any case due to their
50 popularity, and thus should be discussed on the dev list and if I'm not
51 mistaken, run by council. I'm not sure about the others, but Donnie was
52 certainly around at the time, and is on council so his opinion will
53 certainly matter in any case. It's thus worth getting his input and
54 those of any others that ware around then to remember, as it could well
55 prevent some needless palm-to-forehead, "how could they have done that
56 /again/ sometime in the future.
61 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman