From: Roman Zilka <zilka@×××××××.cz>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] System problems
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 10:40:14
1 I've gone through the 2.6.36 config. It's indeed overflowing with
2 exotic options, some of which I have never even read the description
3 for. I've gone through them, but let's keep their pruning on the
4 programme in case tackling anything else doesn't lead anywhere.
5
6 As for the common config options, I too suggest removing initramfs
7 completely. The target CPU is set as a generic 64b. Judging by your
8 `emerge --info`, you probably have a Pentium 4. The config will also
9 start SELinux by default. God knows I'm not proficient with SELinux,
10 but I suppose it requires extended attributes support in the
11 filesystem. Ext_attr is enabled for ext3 (you /boot), but disabled for
12 reiserfs, which in turn seems to be on your /, judging by the fstab. At
13 any rate, removing SELinux out of the kernel completely will be far from
14 harmful (unless you know you need it and actually use it for something
15 specific, of course). ATA-related options seem to be OK. The /dev nodes
16 should be called sda*.
17
18 Your `emerge --info` implies that the system isn't all that old. That's
19 very good. I think it's well possible to run at least an 'emerge -uD
20 world' on the system without messing it up irreversibly. That's one big
21 (albeit somewhat off-topic) suggestion, in case you're not switching to
22 another distro really soon.
23
24 I can also imagine some highly unlikely, yet possible collision between
25 the relatively recent in-kernel ext3/reiserfs drivers and the old
26 userland. If it doesn't cause an avalanche of updates, try emerging the
27 latest stable udev, e2fsprogs, reiserfsprogs and perhaps also
28 util-linux and baselayout. Just to be sure. Don't rely on dependencies
29 absolutely (such as in case of the intended udev semi-update).
30
31 Another unlikely, but possible problem: long-forgotten custom udev rules
32 that are in some way incompatible with something new. Of course, this
33 may / may not apply depending on how far you get during the boot-up.
34
35 So far for the first-hand stuff. Let's wait here for your updates on the
36 latest events.
37
38 -rz
41 Lindsay Haisley (Mon, 21 Mar 2011 17:38:53 -0500):
42 > OK, Roman,
43 >
44 > I've posted a new kernel config for 2.6.36-gentoo-r5. I haven't had a
45 > chance to back down the system and try it out yet.
46 >
47 > <http://www.fmp.com/~fmouse/vishnu/vishnu_kernel-2.6.36-gentoo-r5_config.txt>
48 >
49 > This should be everything you wanted to see in order to impart some of
50 > your great wisdom and infinite Linux knowledge to me ;-)
51 >
52 > Other files you requested are shown in the index at
53 > <http://www.fmp.com/~fmouse/vishnu/>, as previously noted.
54 >
55 > Have at!
56 >