From: Daniel Gryniewicz <dang@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] disk partitioning
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 22:31:48
On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 12:16 -0600, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> Thus spake Daniel Gryniewicz on Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 10:19:17AM CST > > In general, reiserfs is considered dead by the linux kernel guys, and by > > it's last remaining maintainer in particular > > Sigh! > > Why do I always seem to pick loosers when it comes to software technology. All > the important partitions on two of my servers and on my desktop Gentoo box are > reiserfs. I suppose in a couple of years kernel support for reiserfs will > start to get flakey and I'll be in a pickle unless I rebuild the boxes. >
I know, same here. Back when I first chose reiserfs, it beat ext3 hands down. However, in the interim, ext3 has at least caught up, and passed resierfs in several categories (such as SMP performance, important with todays dual-core CPUs). I'm slowing switching my boxes all over to ext3 as I get a chance. No reason to frantically change them now, but also no reason to do new reiserfs installs either. Daniel -- gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list