From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: has the sun set ?
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2015 16:09:18
1 Philip Webb posted on Wed, 03 Jun 2015 08:14:04 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > (2) if I make a quickpkg of libmng:0 or lcms:0 , will Portage allow me
4 > to re-install them if I want to after testing the upgrade,
5 > given that they are no longer in the Portage tree ?
6
7 Yes, portage should take that, provided you use -K (package-only).
8
9 Alternatively, before you replace it, copy the ebuild from the installed-
10 packages database (/var/db/pkg/) to your overlay.
11
12 It's even possible to get the ebuild out of a binpkg if necessary -- open
13 the binpkg in a text-editor, and while the first part will be a bunch of
14 compressed garbage, near the end you'll find the ebuild in plain-text,
15 followed by some additional metadata. You can then delete the stuff
16 before and after the ebuild in the editor (don't save it back to the
17 original binpkg file) and save the remaining ebuild to a normal ebuild
18 file.
19
20 >> While it isn't optimal, it's possible to get any ebuild that was ever
21 >> in the main tree from the attic,
22 >> if you need to fill in gaps for a new installation:
23 >> https://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/?hideattic=0
24 >> Some ebuilds from this source may need to be retouched before portage
25 >> is happy with them,
26 >> but if they're not too old it's usually possible to get them working.
27 >
28 > I probably have a note of that site in my home-made help files.
29 > Would I put the ebuild in my local layman dir & would Portage like it ?
30
31 Yes, local overlay, and portage should like it, tho as above you may need
32 to retouch it a bit. Also, if it requires eclasses that have been
33 changed too much or removed, you may need to get them from "the attic"
34 too.
35
36 > And isn't there a problem for Kde-Sunset, given the facts above :
37 > ie KDE 3 needs qt-meta:3 , which requires libmng:0 ,
38 > which is no longer in the Portage tree nor is in the Sunset tree ?
39
40 It's a problem... until someone adds the package back to the sunset tree.
45 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman