From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: kde-sunset: Calling base_src_prepare from kde.eclass
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:28:39
Andrew John Hughes posted on Mon, 22 Feb 2010 11:58:46 +0000 as excerpted:

> I've managed to rebuild most of KDE 3.5 against the new jpeg-8 library > using the overlay. Many thanks for maintaining it! > > I think the removal from the main tree is premature. Not only is KDE 4 > still an unstable resource hog, but the KOffice developers explicitly > state that 2.1: > > 'is not aimed at end users, and we do not recommend Linux distributions > to package it as the default office suite yet.' > > > > Whoever removed it from the main tree has completely ignored this and > decided to ship an incomplete office suite to users for the own > convenience.
FWIW, I agree that it's premature, but it's not Gentoo's problem so much as KDE's and Qt Software's, as both kde3 and qt3 are unsupported upstream, thus, subject to security vulns, getting increasingly difficult to maintain in the face of continuing system updates, etc. Why KDE refuses to support the previous stable version until the new version is generally stable as well, I don't know, but they don't. (Qt I can see a bit more, as they're a commercial company, now part of Nokia, and supporting older versions costs real money. It wasn't their fault that kde decided to go for a full rewrite instead of a straight upgrade port, /then/ do the rewrite when they have an existing stable kde based on a qt that's going to be supported for awhile.) FWIW, I've been quite pleased with kde 4.4. The upgrade from 3.x is still likely to be a big nightmare for many, as so many things have changed and there's some areas that other non-kde-core solutions will have to be used instead, but that's to be expected with an upgrade of that size. I had predicted with early 4.3 that based on evident rate of progress, 4.3 was the first one I could in good conscience call late beta quality, and 4.4 should be rc quality with 4.5 hopefully finally reaching release quality. 4.4 has certainly met at least that prediction, here, and to my very pleasant surprise, exceeded it to the point where I'm very nearly ready to call it full release quality, the only things keeping me from doing so is that I don't have all of kde installed, and haven't tested in 4.4 all of what I do have installed, and the caution from having been burned so many times previously by kde4. But kde's official position was that 4.2 was ready for normal users, and that was terribly sad, because all it did was demonstrate how terribly out of touch with reality they were. Well, there's still one bug that could be a show-stopper. konqueror (and all of KDE) SSL and certificate support and management isn't yet up to what I'd call normal usable standards (it works in general, but the cert management familiar to kde3 users is missing, with the result being that it's broken on some sites with more exotic certificates -- good SSL and certificate management is absolutely critical in this day and age when many banking transactions and purchases are via web browser!). But realistically, konqueror as a web browser is falling behind and looking to be replaced by the webkit based rekonq browser after it matures a bit more, enough so that few people use konqueror as their main browser any more anyway, with chrome/chromium and firefox/iceweasel/icecat being the major browsers picking up from konqueror, so this isn't the blocker it could have been as there's honestly not that many people, even among kde devs I gather, using konqueror as their primary browser anyway. But that same support is used in a few other areas in kde as well, and it continues to be problematic there. Then of course as you mentioned, there's koffice. Just as it's really not qt's fault that kde took so long to stabilize on a reasonably current version, it's not so much kde-core's fault that koffice isn't yet properly stable on kde4. The same applies to other apps built on kde, such as k3b, possibly amarok (which was bad enough, especially for amd64 users, that I got fed up and switched to something else, thus the "possibly" as I don't know current status), kaffeine, etc. But the k3b live version (ebuild available in the kde overlay) is actually quite good, as I mentioned I gave up on amarok as it never was a real good fit for me, and I found the very good qt4 based smplayer to replace kaffeine, so the status on those isn't too bad. But koffice... that remains a legitimate blocker, for those dependent on it for their workflow. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: kde-sunset: Calling base_src_prepare from kde.eclass Andrew John Hughes <gnu_andrew@××××××××××.org>