From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Desktop problem with /dev/hda
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 07:04:04
1 Dale posted on Thu, 09 Sep 2010 21:16:49 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > Lindsay Haisley wrote:
4 >> I recently tried a badly needed kernel upgrade on my desktop system,
5 >> moving from kernel 2.6.23-gentoo-r3 to kernel 2.6.29-gentoo-r5.
6
7 I'll say! Even 2.6.29 is ancient. 2.6.35.4 is I believe the current
8 release, and I'm running 2.6.36-rc3. (I run linus git directly, but he
9 has been away at a conference and there haven't been any updates for some
10 days, so current git is still the rc3 he put out before he left... unless
11 he got back and did some commits today.)
12
13 But I'm curious; why 2.6.29? 2.6.27 was a long-term-stable-support
14 release, still currently supported tho likely not for a lot longer, unless
15 someone else picks it up, as the maintainer says he's about done with it,
16 while 2.6.29 was on a normal release support schedule, AFAIK, with stable
17 updates for it ending probably sometime after the +2 release (2.6.29 +2 =
18 2.6.31).
19
20 2.6.32 is the current long-term-stable-support release. If I were running
21 my kernels as long as you do, that's what I'd be upgrading to, because
22 it'll be supported (and get security and bug patch support in further
23 stable releases) for some time yet, not the 2.6.29 that's no longer
24 upstream supported.
25
26 I'd STRONGLY suggest you do whatever research you might wish to, to
27 confirm what I just stated, and then then seriously consider 2.6.32.
28 Either that, or go back to 2.6.27, because altho its support is about to
29 end (again, unless someone else picks it up), it has been supported as a
30 long-term-stable for quite some time now and has a lot more of the bugs
31 worked out than 2.6.29 will ever get.
32
33 >> This
34 >> also required an upgrade of udev from 141 to 151-r4. When I rebooted
35 >> the box there was no /dev/hda4 which is normally the root filesystem,
36 >> and instead what was the root filesystem had a device name of, I
37 >> believe, "rootfs" in the kernel mount table which had the same files.
38 >> A number of other mounts were gone as well (there was no /dev/hda at
39 >> all, which has several partitions).
40
41 You were playing irresponsible gentoo sysadmin who wants to live on the
42 edge and risk breaking stuff because you didn't read your ewarn summaries,
43 weren't you? Especially with boot-critical packages like udev, and
44 *ESPECIALLY* when you're upgrading that far, you **REALLY** **NEED** to
45 read those messages.
46
47 Excerpt from udev-151-r4.ebuild:
48
49 if use old-hd-rules; then
50 ewarn
51 ewarn "old-hd-rules use flag is enabled"
52 ewarn "This adds the removed rules for /dev/hd* devices"
53 else
54 ewarn
55 ewarn "This version of udev no longer has use flag old-hd-
56 rules enabled"
57 ewarn "So all special rules for /dev/hd* devices are
58 missing"
59 fi
60 ewarn "Please migrate to the new libata if you need these rules."
61 ewarn "They will be completely removed on the next udev update."
62
63 Neither did you check the USE flag changes that emerge --pretend or emerge
64 --ask would have shown you. From equery uses =udev-151-r4:
65
66 - - old-hd-rules : Install rules for /dev/hd* devices, removed upstream
67 at udev-148
68
69 >> The boot-up stumbled to a halt at a maintenance mode prompt with the
70 >> root filesystem mounted R/O and of course no gnome desktop. I could
71 >> use mount -o remount,rw / to make the root filesystem RW, which allowed
72 >> me to re-emerge an earlier version of udev and boot to the previous
73 >> kernel, but I'm stuck with an aging kernel, and other tools depend on a
74 >> kernel and udev upgrade so sooner or later I'm going to be just, plain,
75 >> stuck :(
76
77 What's it they say about naughty gentoo sysadmins who can't do responsible
78 upgrades, checking their USE flag changes or AT LEAST the ewarn
79 summaries? Oh, yeah, "If it breaks, you get to keep the pieces." Well,
80 you didn't read either one, and not without surprise for something left
81 that long, then upgraded irresponsibly, entirely heedless of any warnings
82 or USE flag changes, it broke...
83
84 Of course, it /is/ fixable. You won't be left with pieces that you can't
85 put back together. =:^)
86
87 >> The drive setup is a bit complex. The actual hard drive mounting
88 >> (excluding things like proc, udev, devpts, etc.) look like:
89 >>
90 >> /dev/hda4 on /
91
92 >> The underlying drives are SATA drives which show up as
93 >> /dev/sd[a-d]1 in /dev.
94 >>
95 >> This setup must be maintained in a functional state across any kernel
96 >> and udev upgrades.
97
98 You said it, not me. It must be /maintained/. That's a responsibility.
99 Gentoo can't do that for you, neither does it even try to. If you can't
100 even read the warnings the gentoo devs spend their time on... <shrug>
101
102 You also said it yourself. The devices are /dev/sd*, not /dev/hd*. The
103 direct change to your fstab (and lvm and etc config, if necessary), then,
104 should be pretty simple, a pretty much direct substitution: s/hd/sd/g
105 (substitute, for hd, sd, globally). It's possible the [a-d] bit will
106 change order, but I doubt it, as you've been depending on udev's hd rules
107 for some time now, and I'm almost certain (without actually checking, one
108 could check the udev ruleset if they wanted to be sure) they default to
109 using the same device letter if possible.
110
111 >> I've been careful to use the .config from the working kernel as the
112 >> start for configuring a kernel for the newer kernel, using make
113 >> oldconfig.
114 >>
115 >> Does anyone have any idea what's wrong here? Am I required in recent
116 >> kernels to identify all physical drives in /etc/fstab (and anywhere
117 >> else it matters) with a UUID instead of a /dev device name? I've
118 >> wasted an entire day on this problem, which I can ill afford, but I
119 >> have to get past this roadblock and get my kernel up-to-date.
120
121 If you couldn't afford it, why did you crassly upgrade a boot-critical
122 package and then reboot, without reading the ewarns, /especially/ when
123 upgrading that far at once? Do you regularly play Russian Roulette as
124 well? How many bullets do you load when you do?
125
126 Come on! This isn't rocket science! You're using a rolling distribution;
127 you let your packages get /years/ out of date, and then you upgrade boot-
128 critical packages without either doing any research on what has changed in
129 the mean time, or AT LEAST reading the warnings! What do you EXPECT to
130 happen? Under such circumstances, I know what I'd expect. I'd expect a
131 tough time getting back up and running, when the system broke because I'd
132 effectively played Russian Roulette with my computer, with five bullets in
133 a six-shooter! Gentoo can put the warnings in the ebuild and cause them
134 to display, get mailed to you, whatever, depending on how you've
135 configured it, but you can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink,
136 and Gentoo can put the warnings there but can't make you read them.
137
138 This is especially true when you already know that the drives are SATAs
139 and appear as /dev/sd*, not /dev/hd*. There would be a /bit/ more excuse,
140 if you'd just upgraded legacy PATA drives, as the they are now taken care
141 of by libata as well by default, and switching from /dev/hd* to /dev/sd*.
142 But you already knew your drives were /dev/sd*, so why /on/ /earth/ were
143 you using /dev/hd* in your fstab, anyway? For the folks with PATA drives
144 who have been living under rocks and in caves for several years now,
145 there's at least /some/ explanation, since the switch to /dev/sd* could
146 take them by surprise (again, if they've been living under a rock or in a
147 cave, I'd not expect a responsible sysadmin who has been around to have
148 missed that), but you... you knew your drives were /dev/sd* already? Why
149 on /earth/ were you using /dev/hd* then?
150
151 > I ran into this a few weeks ago. I to have the old IDE hard drives. I
152 > had to switch to PATA which means my drives are now sd* instead of hd*.
153
154 As I said, at least there's /some/ excuse with PATA/IDE.
155
156 > I don't use LVM tho. I set LABELS on mine and use that to boot and
157 > mount the partitions where that are supposed to mount. It worked pretty
158 > well and since I'm using LABELS I can also boot the older kernels and
159 > hopefully any future kernels that come out.
160
161 Actually, that's the way I have mine setup now too, with labels. That
162 way, it shouldn't matter if the partition is on /dev/hda, /dev/md3, /dev/
163 sdz, or something else, mount and the kernel should be able to figure it
164 out.
165
166 > I *think* LVM can use LABELS to. If so, that would be my suggestion.
167 > That way you can move things around as needed and them still boot as
168 > they still be able to find your partitions.
169
170 Seconded.
171
172 The one thing that can be a bit confusing then, however, especially with
173 multiple layers such as mdraid, dmraid, lvm, etc, is keeping straight
174 which devices are which, when maintenance using the device nodes instead
175 of the labels is needed.
176
177 > So far, I have not been able to get Grub to see the LABELS. I just
178 > haven't been able to do much testing on it yet.
179
180 AFAIK (and this is why I replied here, instead of directly to the above
181 post), grub-1 (0.97-r*, called "legacy" and unsupported for years
182 upstream, even well before grub2's on-disk format stabilized, in that
183 regard they pulled a KDE, leaving the current actually working version
184 without support, while the new version was still way broken, tho luckily
185 in the grub case, the community was big enough that community patches have
186 continued to sustain grub-legacy over the gap, adding new features like gpt
187 partition support, ext4 filesystem support, etc, well after upstream
188 abandoned their stable code but years before the new version was even
189 generally usable, let alone production-ready) can't use labels. It's
190 /possible/ grub2 might, but I don't know for sure as I've not upgraded to
191 it yet.
192
193 > If LVM can work with this, it should be backward compatible
194 > with the kernels.
195
196 I don't believe lvm works with labels directly, because labels are a
197 file-system-level feature, and lvm is a below-file-system-level layer.
198 Neither does mdraid (mdadm), for much the same reason.
199
200 However, mdadm DOES allow device sequence change flexibility, because it
201 puts MORE than enough data in its medadata headers to easily identify the
202 mdraid devices on its own -- as long as you point it at the correct set of
203 devices. (If no DEVICE line, what it uses to configure where it scans, is
204 present, it scans devices listed in /proc/partitions, a sane default.)
205
206 FWIW, I ran lvm for awhile, but decided that now that mdraid handles
207 partitioned raid, there wasn't much need for it any longer, and what with
208 lvm on mdraid (partitions) on raw disk partitions, the complexity both of
209 keeping track of it all, AND of keeping enough of both the mdadm and lvm
210 administration commands in my head to properly fix things if something
211 went wrong... was getting dangerously high. As complex as it was, I was
212 thus more likely to make a critical data-loss mistake. As such, I decided
213 it was better to dump the lvm, and deal simply with partitioned RAID.
214 Unfortunately, I've forgotten enough about lvm since then that I don't
215 remember exactly what features it did have in this regard, but as I said,
216 I doubt it has label support because labels are a file-system-level
217 feature, and the filesystems go on lvm, not lvm on the filesystems. But I
218 expect it DOES have UID and scanning support.
219
220 FWIW2, as disks increase beyond the 2-T barrier, with legacy MBR style
221 partitioning reaching its limits at 2-T, the newer GPT (GUID Partitioning
222 Table, originally developed as part of EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface,
223 think Apple and Intel), but backward compatible with BIOS based machines
224 as well) is likely to take over. GPT has a number of advantages,
225 including keeping redundant copies at each end of the disk and checksums
226 for reliability and doing away with the primary/secondary/extended
227 partition distinction, but ALSO including a partition-level label-type
228 feature. Given that, as GPT becomes more common, it's very likely the
229 various above-partition-below-filesystem level tools and systems,
230 including mdraid/mdadm and lvm/devicemapper/dmraid, will grow support for
231 partition labels as well. Until that point, however, the much less human
232 readable UUID/GUID system is the closest it can get.
233
234 BTW (or FWIW3, if you prefer), the whole idea behind udev is that it's now
235 user customizable. You can make the devices show up either directly, or
236 via symlink, as whatever name you want. If you want to name your hard
237 drives after the planets, /dev/mercury instead of /dev/sda (or hda),
238 followed by venus, earth, mars... instead of sdb, sdc, sdd... that's
239 doable.
240
241 It is of course also doable to find and save the old udev hd*
242 compatibility rules, if you want, keeping them around for continued use.
243 That's even easier than devising your own rules, since they're pre-made.
244 Just find and save somewhere the file(s) that take care of that, before
245 doing the upgrade. You can read about it in the udev manpage if you like,
246 but the default rules location is /lib(64)?/udev/rules.d, so you'll
247 probably find them there (tho there might be a helper script that you need
248 to save as well), while the custom rules location is /etc/udev/rules.d, so
249 that's where you should copy them too.
250
251 Again, Gentoo has documentation on this, the udev guide. You can get as
252 deeply into it, designing as complex a ruleset doing who knows what, as
253 you want. As is normally the case with Gentoo, it's all up to you. But
254 again, if you want to just do upgrades without reading any warnings or
255 documentation, even when it's spit-out in ewarns in the upgrade itself,
256 well, I suggest you go looking for a different distribution, because
257 Gentoo wasn't designed as a babysitter, and really, there /are/ others
258 that better fit that bill.
263 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman