From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Nautilus-CD-Burner issue
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 23:52:33
1 On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 17:38 -0600, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
2 > > Do you have "hal" in your USE and have you done an "rc-update add hald
3 > > default"?
4 > >
5 > > I'm pretty sure that this will solve it as Gnome has gone to using
6 > > hald/dbus for most of their detections.
7 >
8 > OK, thanks. I'll reasearch this. I should note, however, that 'hal' isn't
9 > listed in /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc (last update, Nov. 29) which
10 > someone should perhaps look into. I don't have hal on the system, but will
11 > install it.
12
13 Actually, it should be in /usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc, and it
14 affects 4 packages, which I tend to think is enough to warrant it being
15 added as a global USE flag.
16
17 > If I add 'hal' to my USE list, how much of gnome am I going to have to
18 > rebuild to get this working?
19
20 3 or 4 packages.
21
22 > If gnome now depends on hal and dbus for detections, perhaps the relevant
23 > gnome ebuilds should contain dependencies to these. I know nothing about
24 > these packages, but that's nothing new. Gnome, Gentoo and other systems
25 > move so fast that every couple of weeks I have to go back to school ;-)
26
27 Well, they aren't "required" for Gnome to work, which is probably why
28 they are enabled by USE flags. Again, I'm not a Gnome developer, so I
29 am sure someone from the Gnome team would be able to tell you more
30 accurately.
33 Chris Gianelloni
34 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
35 Games - Developer
36 Gentoo Linux