From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Nautilus-CD-Burner issue
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 23:52:33
On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 17:38 -0600, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> > Do you have "hal" in your USE and have you done an "rc-update add hald > > default"? > > > > I'm pretty sure that this will solve it as Gnome has gone to using > > hald/dbus for most of their detections. > > OK, thanks. I'll reasearch this. I should note, however, that 'hal' isn't > listed in /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc (last update, Nov. 29) which > someone should perhaps look into. I don't have hal on the system, but will > install it.
Actually, it should be in /usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc, and it affects 4 packages, which I tend to think is enough to warrant it being added as a global USE flag.
> If I add 'hal' to my USE list, how much of gnome am I going to have to > rebuild to get this working?
3 or 4 packages.
> If gnome now depends on hal and dbus for detections, perhaps the relevant > gnome ebuilds should contain dependencies to these. I know nothing about > these packages, but that's nothing new. Gnome, Gentoo and other systems > move so fast that every couple of weeks I have to go back to school ;-)
Well, they aren't "required" for Gnome to work, which is probably why they are enabled by USE flags. Again, I'm not a Gnome developer, so I am sure someone from the Gnome team would be able to tell you more accurately. -- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager Games - Developer Gentoo Linux

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-desktop] Nautilus-CD-Burner issue Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>