From: Jonathan Stickel <jjstickel@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 15:50:00
Paul de Vrieze wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 October 2004 11:44, Gábor Farkas wrote: > >>well...foomatic (at least for me) usually has the printer driver i need >>(it works with kcontrol). >> >>i just don't know how to add a cups printer in gnome ;) > > > Well, kcontrol knows about foomatic, but cups itself certainly doesn't. An > easy way to control cups is through the web interface. For that to work > the printer needs to be known to cups (by installing in that location). > > Paul >
I really recommend the setting the "ppds" USE flag. When installing foomatic-db, hpijs, gimp-print, etc, this flag causes a large database of ppd files to be generated so that the print drivers can be seen in the CUPS web interface and higher level printer setup utilities. Otherwise, you are left to generate ppd files by cups command line tools, which is not a trivial process. The only down side is an extra 5-10MB in /usr/share/ppd, which is not very much at all. I propose that this USE flag be set in make.defaults. Jonathan -- gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't? Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>