From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: CD player recommendations ??
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 13:19:57
On Friday 12 January 2007 03:41, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote
about '[gentoo-desktop]  Re: CD player recommendations ??':
> "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net> posted > 200701111413.31743.bss03@××××××××××.net, excerpted below, on Thu, 11 > Jan > > 2007 14:13:19 -0600: > > [I'm a little fuzzy here as to weather a read-only > > page is ever written to actual swap space, the kernel may just > > remember where (on disk) the original is keep and release the real > > memory page.] > > That's for local disk, anyway. It's very possibly (and reasonably so) > different with NFS and other remote file systems, where local swap may > be rather faster and more dependable than access to the remote file > system.
Or, on a system where (e.g.) /home is on RAID 6 across 5 disks, and swap is on RAID 0 across 5 disks (same disks possibly). In this case I/O to swap is nearly twice as fast, so it may be reasonable to sometimes swap out pages that are backed by files or even *filesystem cache*. This is, in fact, fairly similar to my current setup. You can invent even more esoteric system profiles where (e.g.) swap is many times faster than a particular filesystem, especially for small (page-size) random writes, even without introducing a network. -- "If there's one thing we've established over the years, it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest clue what's best for them in terms of package stability." -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh

Subject Author
[gentoo-desktop] Re: CD player recommendations ?? Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>