From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: CD player recommendations ??
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 13:19:57
1 On Friday 12 January 2007 03:41, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote
2 about '[gentoo-desktop] Re: CD player recommendations ??':
3 > "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net> posted
4 > 200701111413.31743.bss03@××××××××××.net, excerpted below, on Thu, 11
5 > Jan
6 >
7 > 2007 14:13:19 -0600:
8 > > [I'm a little fuzzy here as to weather a read-only
9 > > page is ever written to actual swap space, the kernel may just
10 > > remember where (on disk) the original is keep and release the real
11 > > memory page.]
12 >
13 > That's for local disk, anyway. It's very possibly (and reasonably so)
14 > different with NFS and other remote file systems, where local swap may
15 > be rather faster and more dependable than access to the remote file
16 > system.
17
18 Or, on a system where (e.g.) /home is on RAID 6 across 5 disks, and swap is
19 on RAID 0 across 5 disks (same disks possibly). In this case I/O to swap
20 is nearly twice as fast, so it may be reasonable to sometimes swap out
21 pages that are backed by files or even *filesystem cache*. This is, in
22 fact, fairly similar to my current setup.
23
24 You can invent even more esoteric system profiles where (e.g.) swap is many
25 times faster than a particular filesystem, especially for small
26 (page-size) random writes, even without introducing a network.
29 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
30 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
31 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
32 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh