From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Gnome menu question
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 14:29:16
1 mail <lists@×××××.net> posted 1177761704.7779.13.camel@××××××××××××××.net,
2 excerpted below, on Sat, 28 Apr 2007 08:01:44 -0400:
3
4 > Does anybody know where the files are that make the gnome menu? I would
5 > like to copy them to another user.
6
7 I don't know gnome directly, but much of it is freedesktop.org standard
8 now for both it and KDE, which I know a bit more about, so this might
9 help.
10
11 The freedesktop.org standard environmental vars that control searched
12 locations should be the $XDG_* family, XDG_*_HOME denoting user
13 locations (single dir), with parallel system location vars (colon
14 separated multiple dirs) as well. From gterm or whatever, see if you
15 have those vars exported as follows:
16
17 export|grep XDG_
18
19 The normal defaults (to which GNOME may add for the system versions, KDE
20 does, and Gentoo may change the defaults a bit too) are:
21
22 XDG_DATA_HOME="$HOME/.local/share"
23 XDG_CONFIG_HOME="$HOME/.config"
24 XDG_DATA_DIRS="/usr/local/share/:/usr/share/"
25 XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg"
26
27 So obviously, for menu stuff, if those vars are set, check the locations
28 they point at. If they aren't, check the defaults.
29
30 >From what I've read, there are two types of entries, *.desktop files,
31 mainly at the system level, and *.menu files, at the user level (with
32 *.desktop files supported there as well, but legacy, I believe).
33
34 For user menu cloning, the system locations aren't likely to be of
35 interest to you. All you'll probably need are the user customizations.
36 For these look in (as noted above) ~/.config/menus (the location of
37 *.menu files) and ~/.local/share/applications and desktop-directories
38 (the first being the location of menu item entires, *.desktop files, the
39 second being the submenu entries, *.directory, both of which are AFAIK
40 now deprecated in favor of the *.menu files in the location above).
41
42 Again, I really have little idea how much of that applies to GNOME, but
43 as KDE has made changes to come into desktop.org spec compatibility, I've
44 read GNOME's doing the same thing, and in theory, at least new versions
45 should use the same locations and formats, tho legacy support will
46 differ. Hope it at least gives you a place to start, even if it's not
47 entirely correct for GNOME.
52 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
55 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list