From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: DM info variants for the new xdm init.d script
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 23:03:36
1 Michał Górny posted on Mon, 25 Oct 2010 22:30:22 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > 2) separate init.d scripts
4 > --------------------------
5 >
6 > This one is even heavier but more clean. This way, we only keep
7 > a minimal subset of DM-related code in common, and let every DM install
8 > its own init.d script. This way, we keep them clean and flexible.
9 >
10 > On the other hand, that would introduce a lot of repeating code,
11 > and user would need to explicitly add appropriate DM to the runlevel.
12
13 Consider this a user vote for this one.
14
15 Perhaps put the common code in some sort of dependency (the initscripts
16 could source a common base), and let each ?DM install its own init-script
17 front-end.
18
19 That would allow users (like me) who don't use a ?DM (text login, custom
20 scripts that do some setup and run startx) to kill the initscripts and
21 associated infrastructure (in the common dependency), currently shipping
22 with xorg-server, for them.
27 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman