From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Desktop nearly unbootable!! Need HELP!!
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 02:12:19
1 I just did an emerge -uD world and now have an almost unusable desktop, so
2 my small business on which I depend is out of business until I get this
3 fixed!
4
5 I started the emerge and went out for a while and when I came back
6 (mozilla-thunderbird was building, package 21 of about 48) I noted that
7 things were running _VERY_ slowly. Some commands executed quickly, but
8 some, such a 'sudo su - root' took several minutes to execute. The emerge
9 of Thunderbird was taking so long that I aborted it and rebooted the system.
10
11 When the system boots, I get to:
12
13 * Starting udevd ...
14
15 and then I get:
16
17 udevd[554]: nss_ldap: failed to bind to LDAP server ldap://127.0.0.1: Can't
18 contact LDAP server
19
20 [the LDAP server doesn't start until much later in the boot process]
21
22 ... and the same message repeats many times after successively longer
23 timouts, and finally the boot proceeds.
24
25 Subsequently the ALSA module hangs for several minutes while loading (there
26 is no sound when the system finally comes up. Likewise, samba takes forever
27 to start, as does dbus and the ldap-server and several other services, and
28 finally starting the X server takes several minutes. The box takes about 45
29 minutes to boot up! Once it's up, emerging anything takes ages and ages, so
30 I'm pretty well stuck and hozed.
31
32 I have ldap enabled in my USE spec in /etc/make.conf, but why is udevd
33 depending on it? It's not in IUSE for the udev ebuild.
34
35 I've been using gentoo for several years, and have been scared that
36 something like this would happen, that the system would screw itself and
37 leave me with no way out. The only thing that could have been worse here
38 would have been if it had happened on one of my servers, which are also
39 running gentoo. I'd be losing customers right and left.
40
41 Can anyone please advise me on how to straighten this mess out?
44 Lindsay Haisley | "Everything works | PGP public key
45 FMP Computer Services | if you let it" | available at
46 512-259-1190 | (The Roadie) | <http://www.fmp.com/pubkeys>
47 http://www.fmp.com | |
48 --
49 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list