From: Alex Montgomery <apmontgomery@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] latest update broke compiz
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 13:07:12
1 Hello,
2
3 I am running Gentoo ~amd64 on an i7 with a GeForce 9800 GT. My compiz
4 was working perfectly until my last update. Now it either isn't
5 running properly or is ignoring my settings. Compiz is automatically
6 started when I log into Gnome since my gconf
7 /desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager is set to
8 "compiz" as described here:
9 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Compiz-Fusion#Gnome This setting has
10 always worked for me and has not changed during the update. Gnome
11 still starts up fine, but compiz acts as if it has never been set up:
12 the window decorator is missing, my plugin choices aren't being used,
13 etc. Compiz is running though, since my AWN dock starts up properly
14 and since the window decorator is stripped out like it was before I
15 set up compiz to my liking.
16
17 Here's the odd part: if I manually run compiz-manager from a terminal
18 within this environment, compiz starts up with all my settings,
19 (window decorator, plugin choices, etc) but the text cursor and
20 anything I type gets visually corrupted (blocky, impossible to read).
21
22 Any idea what's going on? Why isn't compiz taking my settings when I
23 first log into gnome? Why does manually running compiz-manager after
24 logging in to gnome use my settings but corrupt my typed text?
25
26 I'd really appreciate any help anyone could provide, I posted on the
27 Compiz forums and they don't seem to know what's going on.
28
29 Thanks,
30 -- Alex