From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Openssh really needed in desktop profiles?
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 01:53:39
1 On Sunday 04 March 2007 03:17:39 b.n. wrote:
2 > >>> The thing is, most other clients aren't part of system. (rsync and
3 > >>> wget are, for portage to use, but firefox isn't, and dhcpcd or other
4 > >>> dhcp client isn't, despite the number of folks using both, for
5 > >>> instance.)
6
7 I'd probably be in favour of adding virtual/dhcpc to the base profile too.. ;)
8
9 > >> It sounds as though you'd like the openssh package to be split into two
10 > >> - a client and a server, analogously to, say, ntp. Is that right?
11 > >
12 > > A number of other distros do it this way. Just FYI; not saying it's
13 > > better or worse.
14
15 Those distros don't have USE flags. If anything it would be a USE flag.
16 Anything else would be ridiculous. It doesn't seem that there is any
17 configure options to disable server or client though so it seems all such a
18 USE flag could do is remove binaries after they had been built...
19
20 Hence I'll bet any request for such a USE flag would be resolved UPSTREAM
21 (unless I've missed a configure option). While there are other providers for
22 virtual/ssh none of them seems to have such an option.
23
24 I also want to say that I don't really see how a server that isn't running can
25 be a security issue.
26
27 > It would agree a lot better with common sense (you don't need the server
28 > if you only want a client, and vv) and Gentoo way of doing things (you
29 > install only what you strictly want to install).
30 >
31 > Anyone has already filed a bug? otherwise I could do so.
32
33 What makes you think you'll get a different response on bugzilla than you've
34 gotten on this list? Chris already told you to appeal it on the gentoo-dev
35 mailing list if you feel strongly about it.
38 Bo Andresen