From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] CD player recommendations ??
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 21:52:59
1 The issue is also that some KDE apps have hooks that not only don't work with
2 Gnome, but which do nasty things such as crash the Gnome panels or some other
3 part of the Gnome desktop environment when you try to run them. Some, such as
4 k3b, are well behaved in this regard (although it didn't used to be) but
5 others, such as kscd aren't.
6
7 Thus spake Harry Holt on Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 01:21:20PM CST
8 > Generally, that's true - as long as you have a PC with enough resources to
9 > handle everything. There are several considerations for wanting to stick
10 > to applications that are designed for a particular environment:
11 >
12 > 1) Gnome and KDE make use of a rather large stack of runtime libraries that
13 > remain resident. If you are running a Gnome desktop and start up a KDE
14 > application, the first thing that happens is the stack of libraries for KDE
15 > loads up into the system and remain resident until you restart the X
16 > server. This requires a significant amount of resources. Same thing if you
17 > are running KDE and start up a Gnome application.
18 >
19 > 2) Each environment has a number of dependencies. If you only have one
20 > environment installed, installing an application for the other requires that
21 > you also install all those libraries and dependencies. Maybe not a major
22 > issue for some, but a consideration none-the-less.
23 >
24 > 3) Consistency. The desktop environment that the application is designed
25 > for has an impact on the application's interface, appearance, etc. Gnome
26 > and KDE even have slightly different paradigms for working with the
27 > clipboard. Yes, you can do some tweaking to get them to act consistent in
28 > some cases, but it's not as simple as using an application built for your
29 > chosen environment.
30 >
31 > I *do* see your point, and I generally follow it myself. I prefer the
32 > gnuStep environment myself, but the application selection for it is dismal,
33 > so I am usually in Gnome. Even with that, I also use a couple of KDE
34 > applications (k3b for one) simply because I require the features they have.
35 > But, then, I have a pretty beefy PC.
36 >
37 > .... HH