From: "Marcus D. Hanwell" <cryos@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Proposal: Split kde use flag into kde3 and kde4
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 12:47:35
1 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 090427 Alexey Shvetsov wrote:
3 >
4 >> I think its better to split kde use flag
5 >> into 2 new use flags kde3 and kde4 so it will not confuse users
8 > As a user who tried KDE 4.2.1 & decided to wait for >= 4.3.1 (smile),
9 > having KDE 3 + KDE 4 installed simultaneously is not easy.
10 > There seems to be a basic problem with KDE 4 apps
11 > corrupting KDE 3 settings in the user's ~/.kde3.5 & ~/.kde4 dirs.
12 > The problem seems to arise from the single symlink ~/.kde ,
13 > which has to be pointed to one or the other version of KDE.
14 >
15 > Have you guys thought re this aspect of the affair ?
18 This has already been handled. We set the default configuration
19 directory for KDE 4 apps to ~/.kde4 for -kdeprefix, and .kde4.2 etc for
20 slotted. This removes the possibility of KDE 4 apps corrupting KDE 3
21 apps unless you symlink this directory.
22
23 I wonder how many apps can actually support KDE 3 or KDE 4. I would
24 favour using kde3 for KDE 3 support, and kde for KDE 4 support, if
25 people feel that this is necessary at all. If you are only talking one
26 of two apps users have package.use for this kind of thing.