From: Brent Busby <brent@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: OpenGL Issue -- "failed to create drawable" (pyglet, python)
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 20:02:51
1 On Mon, 25 Apr 2011, Corey Richardson wrote:
2
3 > On 04/24/2011 11:34 PM, Duncan wrote:
4 >> [snip]
5 >> One thing I don't see you mention, is switching between the classic and
6 >> gallium OpenGL implementations. Again, I've not played with gallium much,
7 >> and it may be that this doesn't apply to intel at all, but at least for
8 >> radeons, eselect mesa is used to list and switch between the classic and
9 >> gallium drivers. You mention trying with gallium, but not specifically
10 >> switching to the classic drivers and trying that. Perhaps that's why you
11 >> got the segfault with mesa emerged -gallium, as if you hadn't eselect mesa
12 >> switched to the classic drivers, it could have tried to load libraries
13 >> that didn't exist in that case, thus triggering a segfault.
14 >
15 > I think that was definitely a portion of the puzzle. I had never
16 > selected gallium before, so it never wasn't using the classic driver.
17 > Which makes the segfault even more mysterious. I selected gallium for
18 > all the options and I now have a hang again (it went away when using
19 > - -gallium, forgot to mention that). My updated glxinfo is attached. I
20 > think it's odd that glxgears works but not pyglet. It may be like you
21 > mentioned, not accepting the software fallback. Oh, and selecting
22 > gallium didn't move OpenGL onto hardware, it's still running in software.
23 >
24 > Could it possibly be a kernel option somewhere? KMS is on and I compiled
25 > in Intel DRM support. Just flailing around wildly for causes.
26
27 You might want to prepare for the possibility that your card just
28 doesn't work with KMS, even different cards from the same brand.
29
30 At home, I have a Radeon FireGL V3400 that just refuses to work with any
31 kind of KMS, and I finally gave up. You can disable it either by
32 building a kernel that defaults to not having it on, or by passing a
33 kernel parameter from Grub ("nomodeset").
34
35 At work, I have a Radeon HD4350 which works great with KMS on console
36 VTY's and in X11, and hardware 3D works fine also. Both machines are
37 running Gentoo with the 1.9 Radeon drivers and the 2.6.38.2 kernel.
38
39 KMS is just going to have to be something that works when it works for
40 now.
43 + Brent A. Busby +
44 + Sr. UNIX Systems Admin + Vote for Cthulhu.
45 + University of Chicago +
46 + James Franck Institute + Why settle for the lesser evil?