From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: KDE3 overlay message.
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2011 13:16:33
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > Dale posted on Sun, 02 Oct 2011 06:49:04 -0500 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> I know the KDE3 folks subscribe here and wanted to let you know about
5 >> this. I got this after I done my sync:
6 >>
7 >> Building database (/var/cache/eix) ..
8 >> [1] "kde-sunset" /var/lib/layman/kde-sunset (cache:
9 >> parse|ebuild*#metadata-flat#assign)
10 >> Reading category 17|155 ( 10%): app-misc .. *
11 >> *
12 >> "/var/lib/layman/kde-sunset/app-misc/releaseforge/
13 > releaseforge-1.3.ebuild":
14 >> * Deprecation Warning: Usage of distutils.eclass in packages not
15 >> supporting installation
16 >> * for multiple Python ABIs in EAPI<=2 is deprecated and will be
17 >> banned on 2011-06-01.
18 > The short version of the story is that there have been some changes and
19 > that message can be ignored, for now.
20 >
21 > The longer version... well, let's say that a certain former gentoo/python
22 > project dev is just that, former, and that the disruptively high rate of
23 > python eclass code churn and function deprecation and removal has slowed
24 > WAAAYYY down. It'll probably pick back up slightly as others pick up the
25 > pieces and development gets back to normal, but it should remain far more
26 > modest and less disruptive than it was, as that wasn't normal (or, it
27 > turns out, acceptable for the rest of gentoo) either.
28 >
29 > Similarly, it's rather unlikely that the methods used to stabilize
30 > python-3 will be repeated any time soon. (Heh, at least they didn't move
31 > python-2 out of the tree to a python-sunset overlay... but the
32 > circumstances there are quite different as unlike kde/qt, upstream python
33 > continues to support python-2, and unlike python, not so much of the rest
34 > of the tree is so widely affected by kde. The kde thing was more
35 > upstream policy, the python thing more a gentoo-only thing.)
36 >
37 > That's why the named date has passed without any action, but the warning
38 > remains. Everything's more or less frozen in place as the folks picking
39 > up the pieces assess the situation and decide where to go from here.
40 > > From what I've read, many of the changes have already been done in the
41 > python overlay, and they have to figure out whether to move them to the
42 > tree, but slower, or to revert them in the python overlay, or if a
43 > different solution needs to be worked out and tested in the python
44 > overlay, before moving to the tree.
45 >
46 > (FWIW, I believe said developer remains active in the python overlay,
47 > helping to straighten things out or at least explain where he was going
48 > with the changes so what to do with them can be better worked out, and he
49 > does still post to gentoo-dev occasionally, of course now without a gentoo
50 > address, so he's still active in the community and I guess helping to
51 > pick up the pieces. What happens from here on out, however, remains to
52 > be seen. Maybe he'll return as a dev, having learned his lesson, perhaps
53 > he's not even interested, but at least he's still around, so AFAIK
54 > there's still some bridges remaining unburned.)
55 >
56 > So, um, yeah, the deprecation message can be ignored for now. It'll
57 > probably be removed at some point. If they do decide to kill that
58 > functionality, etc, expect some further warning and likely discussion on
59 > the dev list (which I know both you and I follow) first.
63 This is good. I just didn't want to not post and it cause someone
64 problems with say a new install. I posted issues I had with a new
65 install of KDE3 a while back too. I just wanted to post in case someone
66 was unaware of the issues I ran into. They could have been caused by me
67 but they could have been something else too. I posted to let some dev
68 that knows more than me can sort it out.
69
70 At least I know all is well. Sounds like python 3 is taking a bit of a
71 nap.
72
73 Dale
74