From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: KDE3 overlay message.
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2011 13:16:33
Duncan wrote:
> Dale posted on Sun, 02 Oct 2011 06:49:04 -0500 as excerpted: > >> I know the KDE3 folks subscribe here and wanted to let you know about >> this. I got this after I done my sync: >> >> Building database (/var/cache/eix) .. >> [1] "kde-sunset" /var/lib/layman/kde-sunset (cache: >> parse|ebuild*#metadata-flat#assign) >> Reading category 17|155 ( 10%): app-misc .. * >> * >> "/var/lib/layman/kde-sunset/app-misc/releaseforge/ > releaseforge-1.3.ebuild": >> * Deprecation Warning: Usage of distutils.eclass in packages not >> supporting installation >> * for multiple Python ABIs in EAPI<=2 is deprecated and will be >> banned on 2011-06-01. > The short version of the story is that there have been some changes and > that message can be ignored, for now. > > The longer version... well, let's say that a certain former gentoo/python > project dev is just that, former, and that the disruptively high rate of > python eclass code churn and function deprecation and removal has slowed > WAAAYYY down. It'll probably pick back up slightly as others pick up the > pieces and development gets back to normal, but it should remain far more > modest and less disruptive than it was, as that wasn't normal (or, it > turns out, acceptable for the rest of gentoo) either. > > Similarly, it's rather unlikely that the methods used to stabilize > python-3 will be repeated any time soon. (Heh, at least they didn't move > python-2 out of the tree to a python-sunset overlay... but the > circumstances there are quite different as unlike kde/qt, upstream python > continues to support python-2, and unlike python, not so much of the rest > of the tree is so widely affected by kde. The kde thing was more > upstream policy, the python thing more a gentoo-only thing.) > > That's why the named date has passed without any action, but the warning > remains. Everything's more or less frozen in place as the folks picking > up the pieces assess the situation and decide where to go from here. > > From what I've read, many of the changes have already been done in the > python overlay, and they have to figure out whether to move them to the > tree, but slower, or to revert them in the python overlay, or if a > different solution needs to be worked out and tested in the python > overlay, before moving to the tree. > > (FWIW, I believe said developer remains active in the python overlay, > helping to straighten things out or at least explain where he was going > with the changes so what to do with them can be better worked out, and he > does still post to gentoo-dev occasionally, of course now without a gentoo > address, so he's still active in the community and I guess helping to > pick up the pieces. What happens from here on out, however, remains to > be seen. Maybe he'll return as a dev, having learned his lesson, perhaps > he's not even interested, but at least he's still around, so AFAIK > there's still some bridges remaining unburned.) > > So, um, yeah, the deprecation message can be ignored for now. It'll > probably be removed at some point. If they do decide to kill that > functionality, etc, expect some further warning and likely discussion on > the dev list (which I know both you and I follow) first. >
This is good. I just didn't want to not post and it cause someone problems with say a new install. I posted issues I had with a new install of KDE3 a while back too. I just wanted to post in case someone was unaware of the issues I ran into. They could have been caused by me but they could have been something else too. I posted to let some dev that knows more than me can sort it out. At least I know all is well. Sounds like python 3 is taking a bit of a nap. Dale :-) :-)