From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o, gentoo-announce@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev-announce] Service relaunch: gitweb.gentoo.org; anon git:// moving soon
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2015 03:39:27
Another week, another service...

The Gentoo Infra team now presents the relaunched Git web interface, now
hosted at: gitweb.gentoo.org.

It's cgit-based, but has working redirects for all prior gitweb
locations:
http://git.gentoo.org/gitweb/
http://sources.gentoo.org/gitweb/
http://overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/
http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/
(https is also supported on all of these)

Thanks to a3li for his work on the new theming!

This comes at a price: I'd hoped to use this new system [1] to launch
the migrated Git service; but the sponsor continues to have network
issues [2]. I had hoped this was one of the last major delays in the Git
Migration project, so it'll be a while longer until we have a suitable
place for it.

There is one forthcoming change still, I'd like to deprecate with very
short notice, all non-SSH git service on the hostname of git.gentoo.org.
All anonymous git will soon be served at anongit.gentoo.org. At that
time, we'll provide both git:// (port 9418) and HTTP/HTTPS anonymous
checkouts. There will be a banner message up if you try to use port 9418
on git.gentoo.org. Stay tuned for a further announcement on the timing
of this.

[1] The sponsor explicitly bought a nice brand new box for us, after
their early plan to reuse some hardware was stymied by business
requirements.
[2] The sponsor's network firewall is TOO strict due to bug(s) in their
vendor's equipment (I don't know more than that, or which vendor).
Their business requirements greatly limit the availability of change
windows to test patches for the bug(s) or the alternative of trivially
relaxing some of the other firewall portion. This also means it's
IPv4-only at this time, we can't tunnel IPv6 through the firewall.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux: Developer, Infrastructure Lead