From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev-announce] New subproject: Hardened uClibc
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2012 15:04:40
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 I'd like to announce a new subproject of Hardened Gentoo: Hardened
4 uClibc. It is an effort to port both tool chain and kernel hardening to
5 uClibc based systems for a variety of architectures, treating uClibc
6 more as a drop in alternative to glibc, and not necessarily as
7 "embedded". Embedded systems aim to produce kernels and user lands with
8 tiny footprints, and so tend to use busybox as their "Swiss Army Knife"
9 of common UNIX utilities. While not excluding this possibility, we aim
10 at making most (all?) of Gentoo's packages both hardened and uClibc
11 compatible.
12
13 The subproject crosses three areas: hardened, embedded and releng. For
14 a while I was just manually building and tarballing chroots, but I'm
15 migrating to proper stage3's built using catalyst. The following table
16 gives a brief summary of the current state of affairs:
17
18 Arch ABI(s) Medium
19 amd64 Generic stage3 desktop
20 arm armv7a stage4
21 mips mips32r2 mipsel32r2 stage4
22 x86 i686 stage3
23 ppc <in progress>
24
25 These are available on the mirrors under
26 ${MIRROR}/expiermental/${ARCH}/uclibc.
27
28 uClibc has made it quite a ways in the last few years. For amd64, I
29 built an entire desktop system based on XFCE4 which is also on the
30 mirrors. However, this is still work in progress and should be
31 considered experimental. Eg. upgrading the desktop from glib-2.30.3 to
32 glib-2.32.4-r1 breaks. The stage3's are the closest to being stable.
33
34 The project homepage is at http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/uclibc/
35
36 Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o>
39 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
40 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
41 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
42 GnuPG FP : 8040 5A4D 8709 21B1 1A88 33CE 979C AF40 D045 5535
43 GnuPG ID : D0455535