From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev-announce <gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev-announce] Gentoo Authority Keys are deployed now for testing!
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2019 19:37:42
1 Hi, everyone.
2
3 I'd like to announce that the experimental deployment of Gentoo
4 Authority Keys is now in place. If someone would like to give them
5 a try, Wiki includes instructions for using them [1].
6
7 Authority Keys (as defined in GLEP 79 [2]) provide a simple, uniform way
8 of verifying OpenPGP keys belonging to Gentoo developers. Long story
9 short, Infra runs a service that signs developer keys with a single key.
10 You import, verify and trust the key, and you get @gentoo.org UIDs of
11 all active Gentoo devs verified as a result.
12
13 The primary purpose of developer keys is to provide a better GnuPG-
14 friendly infrastructure for secure communication with developers. It
15 can be used to verify signatures made by developers, and to encrypt mail
16 sent to them. In this regard, it can be used in place of LDAP
17 (available only to Gentoo devs) or gentoo-keys seed files (which require
18 manual updates, and use custom file format).
19
20 Besides developer key signatures, Authority Keys also provide (manually
21 managed) signatures for other keys used by Infra. Therefore, they
22 provide an alternative to manually verifying key fingerprints against
23 Gentoo website [3].
24
25 While technically right now the authenticity of Authority Keys can only
26 be verified against the website [3], I hope that users will start
27 signing them upon verifying, effectively making WoT-based verification
28 possible. Once that happens, we will be able to stop relying on PKI.
29
30 Currently, the Authority Keys and signed developer keys are available
31 only on the experimental Gentoo keyserver (hkps://keys.gentoo.org).
32 Once both mature a little bit, we should start syncing keys between
33 Gentoo keyserver and SKS, effectively increasing availability of this
34 service.
35
36 [1]:https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Infrastructure/Authority_Keys
37 [2]:https://www.gentoo.org/glep/glep-0079.html