From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev-announce] hardened uclibc: security-enhanced, fully featured XFCE4 desktop for amd64, built on uClibc
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 14:56:46
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 I'd like to announce a new (fun?) initiative of the hardened uClibc
4 subproject: a security-enhanced, fully featured XFCE4 desktop for amd64,
5 built on uClibc, codenamed "Lilblue", after the little blue penguin of
6 New Zealand [1], a smaller cousin of the Gentoo.
7
8 The hardened uClibc subproject aims at producing hardened stage3s for
9 amd64, mips (isa=mips32r2/mipsel3, abi=o32), armv7a (softfloat) and i686
10 [2]. Recent improvements in uClibc and bugfixes in various Gentoo
11 packages, both downstream and upstream, now make it possible to build an
12 entire desktop system replacing glibc with uClibc. So, in addition to
13 the stage3s, we are now releasing a fully featured XFCE4 desktop for
14 arch=amd64. It does *not* depend on busybox to provide its core
15 utilities like most uClibc systems, but coreutils, util-linux and all
16 the usual system packages you find on a generic Gentoo system. The
17 tarball bundles about 800 packages including ephiphany, claws, hexchat,
18 abiword, gqview, transmission, vinagre, etc. We have plans to provide
19 binpkgs for up to 7000 packages in all. The hardening includes all of
20 the usual toolchain and kernel hardening you get in regular hardened
21 glibc-based Gentoo.
22
23 The project has been in development for a year but should be considered
24 experimental. A user base of ... uhm ... one ... does not really
25 qualify it to be labeled as "safe for production" [3]. However, I have
26 had no issues with it (minor bugs of course) and I use it on a daily
27 basis. For the average user, the main advantage is speed and the system
28 does feel "snappy". For developers, its fun to dig into bugs which
29 revolve around what functions are provided by your standard C lib: is
30 this POSIX or a GNU-ism? should I fix the package or add a new function
31 to uClibc? what is the best way to implement this fix so it ports
32 across different *libcs? what do I do about this package whose build
33 system is braindead and doesn't understand libdir? If you have too much
34 time on your hands and you're into that kind of "fun" we have a project
35 for you! On a serious note, the main reason for this initiative is to
36 explore and expand the usefulness of an alternative standard C library.
37
38 The home page is at [4] and a freecode.com announcement at [5]. It can
39 be downloaded from any gentoo mirror [6] at
40 [mirror]/gentoo/experimental/amd64/uclibc/desktop-amd64-uclibc-hardened-[date].tar.bz2.
41 The date of the first release is 20130531.
42
43 Ref.
44 [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Penguin
45 [2] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/uclibc/index.xml
46 [3] This is not entirely true. I would like to thank my students for
47 testing, especially Devan Franchini <twitch153@×××××××.com>.
48 [4] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/uclibc/lilblue.xml
49 [5] https://freecode.com/projects/lilblue-linux
50 [6] http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors2.xml
53 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
54 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
55 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
56 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
57 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA