From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev-announce <gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev-announce] Repo mirror & CI: official statement wrt GitHub
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2018 20:11:49
1 Hi, everyone.
2
3 As the lead (and practically the only active developer) of Repository
4 mirror & CI project, I would like to give you a quick update on my plans
5 wrt GitHub. The project is currently using GitHub in two ways:
6
7 1. to host mirrors of ebuild repositories on GitHub (the Gentoo
8 repository is also mirrored to git.g.o);
9
10 2. to process pull requests to gentoo/gentoo on GitHub -- to ping
11 developers and run CI on PRs.
12
13 As most of you have probably heard by now, Microsoft will be acquiring
14 GitHub [1]. This has caused a lot of fuzz, and a lot of projects have
15 started packing their stuff and moving out. However, I don't really see
16 much of a purpose in that right now.
17
18 [1]:https://blog.github.com/2018-06-04-github-microsoft/
21 Mirrors
22 -------
23 There are two reasons why repository mirrors are using GitHub.
24 The technical reason is that it has a trivial API for creating
25 and maintaining a lot of repositories automatically. The legal reason
26 is that it keeps all the 'potentially uncertain' stuff out of Gentoo
27 infrastructure.
28
29 I have been considering moving repository mirrors to Gentoo
30 infrastructure. However, the project aims to mirror all repositories
31 listed in repositories.xml, and we neither can nor really want to
32 actively monitor the content of all of them. What we're trying to avoid
33 is pulling into public Gentoo git repositories data that could end up
34 causing a legal threat to the infrastructure.
35
36 That said, I wouldn't mind adding additional git.gentoo.org mirrors for
37 the official Gentoo repositories that are hosted on git.gentoo.org
38 already (since obviously there's no more threat in that). Please ping
39 me privately if there's interest in that, and I'll look into extending
40 the scripts to handle this.
41
42 As for moving mirrors elsewhere, I don't really see much of a purpose
43 in doing that; at least as long as GitHub provides the service for free
44 and doesn't complain about the space or the traffic involved.
45 The primary use of the service is through git, so I don't really think
46 it matters where the servers stand. Moving them elsewhere sounds like
47 an unnecessary complexity for our users who'd have to update repos.conf.
50 Pull requests
51 -------------
52 The pull request support was oriented on GitHub for a very simple
53 reason: because it had a lot of users, therefore it was convenient
54 for a lot of people. Now that GitHub is losing users, this argument may
55 stop being valid at some point.
56
57 I'm ready and willing to support GitHub pull requests as long as there's
58 interest in contributors using them, and the terms of service don't
59 cause us any major trouble. That said, this particular project doesn't
60 have much of a say how users decide to submit contributions and/or how
61 developers wish to accept them.
62
63 If alternative platforms (e.g. GitLab) receive official Gentoo ebuild
64 repository mirror and gains a significant interest in pull request
65 assignment and/or CI services, I'm willing to extend the scripts to
66 handle that. However, this highly depends on developer support
67 (i.e. there's no point in another pull request repository if every other
68 pull request would be saying 'this dev is not here, file a bug instead')
69 and time to update the scripts for the appropriate API.
72 To those who believe moving out of GitHub is the only thing to do,
73 I would like to remind you of two things. Firstly, if Microsoft indeed
74 has malicious intent, then they've already won because you've let them
75 fragment the community. Secondly, how do you know that GitLab won't be
76 sold to another 'big player' soon enough?
79 Best regards,
80 Michał Górny