From: Brian Evans <grknight@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev-announce] Deprecation of virtual/libmysqlclient and virtual/mysql as providers for libmysqlclient.so
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 18:44:58
1 With the current state of the forks of MySQL diverging, the client
2 libraries are no longer compatible.
3
4 Since virtual packages cannot handle rebuilds of subscribed packages
5 when a consumer changes, the following action is to be taken by all
6 developers:
7
8 If you need libmysqlclient.so, please depend on dev-db/mysql-connector-c.
9 If you need or can use libmariadb.so, please depend on
10 dev-db/mariadb-connector-c.
11
12 (Yes the above packages coexist just fine.)
13
14 Please remove references to virtual/libmysqlclient as it does not work
15 as I intended (and explained above). This virtual will be last-rites
16 once nothing depends on it.
17
18 Please remove all DEPEND on virtual/mysql where it is used for libraries.
19 virtual/mysql is the client and server tools *only*.
20 It is not correct to rely on this for libraries any longer.
21 A good example for DEPEND is tests where the client/server binaries are run.
22 RDEPEND for the purpose of running client/server is fine for virtual/mysql.
23
24 Almost all of the consumers of virtual/mysql have already been updated
25 (save mysql-cluster). Some are already stable.
26
27 At a point in the future, likely in 2019, the compatibility DEPEND that
28 exist in the consumers will be removed and may break packages which are
29 not updated.
30
31 In the coming months, I will try my best to test and report bugs on
32 packages which I can find.
33
34 I welcome any discussion on the details, but this is the only sane move
35 for Gentoo and the ABI incompatibilities that exist on the client libraries.
36
37 Thank you,
38
39 Brian Evans