From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o
Cc: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>, Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, Gentoo Python Project <python@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev-announce] Re: [gentoo-dev] Python 3.5 is in, Python 3.3 deprecation
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 00:57:05
1 (putting this on announcement board since it seems to be a major
2 misunderstanding that causes a lot of extra work)
3
4 Dnia 2015-10-04, o godz. 10:11:48
5 Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> napisał(a):
6
7 > Python 3.5 has been added to ~arch this morning. Please feel free to
8 > test and add python3_5 to PYTHON_COMPAT as appropriate.
9
10 Please do not revbump packages unnecessarily, and do not drop keywords
11 when adding python3.5 support unless it is absolutely necessary.
12 The relevant USE flags are stable-masked, so it's completely correct to
13 add it to PYTHON_COMPAT on stable packages.
14
15 The only reason to drop stable keywords and revbump is if you have to
16 patch the package in order to fix python3.5 support. However, this
17 still does not require dropping of ~arch keywords, so please do not do
18 that.
19
20 If a dependency of your package has lost keywords due to a version
21 bump, please try adding python3.5 support to the older version
22 of the dependency rather than removing keywords from reverse
23 dependencies.
24
25 Also please note that we've just fixed keywords on a lot of Python
26 packages. So in case you see some keyword mis-sync, please update your
27 checkout first.
28
29 > Also, to keep the number of supported implementations manageable, I
30 > would like to deprecate Python 3.3. This means that it should not be
31 > added to PYTHON_COMPAT in new packages. Does anyone object to this, or
32 > have some reason we should keep it as "supported"?
33
34 A minor clarification here too: please avoid adding it to new packages
35 (unless really required -- e.g. python3.4 completely unsupported) but
36 please *do not* remove it from existing packages yet.
37
38 Implementation removal always carries huge reverse dependency problems.
39 This is why we keep the implementation deprecated until it's ready to
40 go, and then package.use.mask the relevant flag and afterwards remove
41 it via eclass. This way, the removal is atomic and developers don't
42 have to work hard on keeping dependency tree sane.
43
44 > See the wiki for the current status of python implementations.
45 >
46 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Python/Implementations
49 Best regards,
50 Michał Górny