From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev-announce <gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev-announce] Please port your packages to Python 3.8
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2020 11:04:09
1 Hello,
2
3 Following the timeline published earlier (and copied to [1]), Python 3.7
4 deprecation starts today. All developers are requested to install
5 Python 3.8 and start testing their packages against it. While at it,
6 testing against Python 3.9 would also be welcome.
7
8 QA reports provide a list [2] and a graph [3] of packages needing
9 porting. To be honest, the only major nuisance in Python 3.8 I can
10 recall right now is that 'python-3.8' pkg-config file no longer includes
11 '-lpython3.8' and packages that need it need to switch to
12 'python-3.8-embed' instead. If you can think of other problems, please
13 ping me and I'll add some tips to python-guide [4] soonish.
14
15 As usual, please add or fix tests to your packages.
16
17 Python 3.8 is planned to become the default on 2020-12-01.
18
19 Thank you all for your hard work!
22 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Python/Implementations#Implementation_support_timeline
23 [2] https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/gpyutils/37-to-38.txt