From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev-announce] Herd -> project migration & cleanup required for GLEP67
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 17:26:20
1 Hello, developers.
2
3 Yesterday the Council has pre-approved GLEP 67 (Package maintenance
4 structure) [1] and gave the green light to start official preparations
5 for it.
6
7 As outlined in the GLEP, the two preparatory steps for the migration
8 are:
9
10 | 1. all existing projects must be ensured to have unique e-mail
11 | addresses. Projects sharing the same e-mail address either need to be
12 | merged, or be given unique e-mail addresses.
13 |
14 | 2. All herds need to be converted into projects, subprojects or
15 | disbanded (replaced by person-type maintainers).
16
17 I'd really appreciate if the developers already looked into their
18 projects and the herds they maintain, and performed the necessary
19 actions on their own. I will specifically query the remaining teams
20 afterwards.
21
22 If more than one of your projects reuse the same e-mail address (or
23 use e-mail addresses of developers), please open a Infra bug requesting
24 new e-mail addresses. Feel free to use a single bug for multiple
25 independent projects, and I will try my best to handle those requests
26 quickly.
27
28 Depending on the structure of your projects, you may want to keep
29 the current e-mail address for one of them or create a new parent
30 project for all projects sharing the same e-mail address.
31
32 For herds, please do not perform any changes to herds.xml or
33 metadata.xml yet. We will update those files automatically when
34 the final wording of the GLEP and the migration are approved. However,
35 feel free to create new projects on the wiki.
36
37 We are keeping a herd->project mapping table [2] on the Wiki. Please
38 check whether the herds you maintain are correctly mapped to a project,
39 and fill the missing mappings in (creating projects as necessary).
40 If you'd prefer the herd to be disbanded, just put a hyphen ('-')
41 in the project column.
42
43 At the time of migration, we will replace all occurrences of <herd/>
44 with the respective project addresses. For herds which are to be
45 disbanded, all previous herd maintainers will be copied to package
46 maintainers in metadata.xml instead.
47
48 Thanks for all the work so far! If you have any questions, please don't
49 hesitate to ask.
50
51 [1]:https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GLEP:67
52 [2]:https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Metastructure/Herd_to_project_mapping