From: Georgy Yakovlev <gyakovlev@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev-announce] Packages up for grabs: dev-lang/typescript, gnome-extra/gnome-shell-extension-pop-shell
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 05:38:42
1 Hi,
2
3 Following package up for grabs:
4
5 gnome-extra/gnome-shell-extension-pop-shell
6 dev-lang/typescript
7
8 I no longer uses pop-shell and it's > 1y outdated.
9 typescript is a build dependency and pop-shell is it's only revdep.
10
11 However, there are plenty of typescript users and package is popular.
12 Yes, it's npm package, but it's unique because it has no external deps.
13 Easy to maintain too, no bugs open, only dependency is nodejs[npm]
14 May use eapi8 bump.
15
16 As for pop-shell, bump will require packaging 2 extra deps:
17 pop-launcher
18 pop-shortcuts
19 Both are rust, the latter uses justfile instead of makefile.
20 It also uses rustls with ring crate, which is not portable and had no
21 commits since april 2022.
24 So my recommendation is to drop pop-shell or move to guru.
25 And keep typescript in repo, it's popular.
26
27 Thanks for reading!
30 Best regards,
31 Georgy